Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Is a 1969 A-C Vacuum Canister Rebuildable?

I've got an original that doesn't hold a vacuum. Had anyone had any luck fixing one that leaked? $100-$150 for a used or repop can seems insane. Since the can is out of sight under the fender why wouldn't a generic can or one from another vehicle work?

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I've got an original that doesn't hold a vacuum. Had anyone had any luck fixing one that leaked? $100-$150 for a used or repop can seems insane. Since the can is out of sight under the fender why wouldn't a generic can or one from another vehicle work?

Generic can will work, you may have to drill new holes,or fashion a way to install it. Usually the original can rots at the bottom edge by the inlet/outlet. If it just a small hole, you can try to solder it or use epoxy or something like that to seal.

I would think with your talents, buy a can of juice or similar, pop small hole on top, extract the contents, remove paper label, and use just the steel can after welding on vac connection and mounting bracket.  The one I pulled looked the diameter of a Folgers can but not as tall. 

I think I can repair the holes in the one I've got. But buying a $40 aftermarket unit, or making one will be considered if I fail at repairing mine. 

20220624_112333.thumb.jpg.71291dbdfa2e8eca0f8ae10b37b3cdd9.jpg

46 minutes ago, RPM said:

I think I can repair the holes in the one I've got. But buying a $40 aftermarket unit, or making one will be considered if I fail at repairing mine. 

20220624_112333.thumb.jpg.71291dbdfa2e8eca0f8ae10b37b3cdd9.jpg

You should be able to solder that. Tin the area first; if the solder does not bridge the gap get a piece of 14–18 gauge solid copper wire, tin it, bend it to fit on the open area, lay it over the gap and solder around the wire. Make sure you do not get the side with inlet/outlet get hot. I think there is a rubber valve inside that inlet/outlet piece that can get damaged. Putting the can on a cup of water (with inlet/outlet submerged in water) or wrapping with wet cloth while soldering will work.

Edited by aslanefe
Typo

On 6/29/2022 at 2:46 PM, EastYorkStang said:

Took a Heinz tomato juice can myself. Popped two small holes in it. Used it for years until I got rid of the A/c units.

Left the labels on it. 

For future reference, the purpose of the can is to store vacuum. If you choose the above solution, make sure to put a check valve on the inlet side of the can so it will hold the stored vacuum when you get on the throttle. Otherwise the vacuum will drop when you get on the throttle and your AC/heater will not blow from your set position until you get off the throttle and vacuum builds up again.