Mountaineerfan

A/C Thermostat switch question

I don’t think my clutch is cycling off, causing some freezing up issues. Is there a way to check/replace the switch without removing the dash? If so, does anyone have a picture showing the location? Can I get to it behind the glove box? If a wire is loose, would the clutch still run?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Mountaineerfan said:

I don’t think my clutch is cycling off, causing some freezing up issues. Is there a way to check/replace the switch without removing the dash? If so, does anyone have a picture showing the location? Can I get to it behind the glove box? If a wire is loose, would the clutch still run?

Thanks in advance!

Look at this thread. You can see the switch in the video and the photo.

So I removed the glove box door. And discovered the blend door actuator motor did not have the vacuum line attached to it. I reattached the line, started the car and tested that it would move, which it did. So now I’ll wait until tomorrow afternoon and drive with it to see if that helps any! I’m thinking with the blend door not moving, the heater core was keeping the box warm and the thermostat would never kick off. Hoping it was a quick cheap fix!

1 hour ago, Mountaineerfan said:

So then what is this actuator for that engages and moves when put on cold and disengages on warm? The cable moves an arm that is hitting the plunger on the servo (granted, it could move a door inside as well). 

44B623CC-D0F5-4E65-8646-FD90CFBD6F47.jpeg

B48AFE37-C8E2-4966-B5ED-FBB7021866F1.jpeg

It has 2 blend doors, kind of. Vacuum actuator operates one, cable operates the other. You need to open up a unit to understand how the 2 doors work together.

2 hours ago, det0326 said:

That vacuum switch operates the heater coolant control valve in the engine bay on passenger side. Its job is to cut off coolant going to heater when in A/C mode. 

If my memory serves me right, the switch also activates the vacuum actuator on the first photo. So when switch is pressed by the lever of blend door 1" (activated  by the cable of hot-cold lever) the heater control valve closes and stops hot coolant going into the heater core. And at the same time the vacuum actuator closes the "blend door 2" and eliminates the air going "through" the heater core.

3 hours ago, aslanefe said:

If my memory serves me right, the switch also activates the vacuum actuator on the first photo. So when switch is pressed by the lever of blend door 1" (activated  by the cable of hot-cold lever) the heater control valve closes and stops hot coolant going into the heater core. And at the same time the vacuum actuator closes the "blend door 2" and eliminates the air going "through" the heater core.

yes u maybe right I remember hooking mine up from a dia. I found but that has been several years ago. My memory doesn't serve me as well anymore.  I was thinking tho that the door u speak of is operated at the same time but happens before the water coolant switch. The coolant switch is a branch off the line that operates the door.

Thanks for posting this pic Mountaineerfan, you've saved me from some frustration, but not after searching for quite a while. 

Screenshot_20220705-091158_Chrome.thumb.jpg.612c9c558061803d6a96dd1e35512be9.jpg

The guy from whom I bought my evaporator box and who rebuilt it, attached the vacuum acuator arm to the switch lever in error. Just to confirm, will you please post a pic showing where the arm from the vacuum actuator in this pic attaches? Thank you. 

Screenshot_20220705-091527_Chrome.thumb.jpg.35cf38b83e6c7e2fc10eb7862c7ea4ff.jpg

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Thanks for posting this pic Mountaineerfan, you've saved me from some frustration, but not after searching for quite a while. 

Screenshot_20220705-091158_Chrome.thumb.jpg.612c9c558061803d6a96dd1e35512be9.jpg

The guy from whom I bought my evaporator box and who rebuilt it, attached the vacuum acuator arm to the switch lever in error. Just to confirm, will you please post a pic showing where the arm from the vacuum actuator in this pic attaches? Thank you. 

You can see where the actuator arm is attached to on photo above (kind of). See the wire/cable attached to the lever that activates the vacuum switch? Follow that wire/cable to the left of the photo. At the edge of the photo that wire/cable is going over the shaft of the lever the actuator arm is attached to. If the photo was about an inch or two wider, you would see the end of the actuator arm and the end of the lever it is attached to.

It's not the cable I'm interested in, it's the vacuum actuator. I know there's only one other lever for the actuator to attach to, but I'd like to see a pic of it. I'd like to see what the marked arm in the pic below attaches to. 

Screenshot_20220705-144212_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aadf1b52d32eb7515300c962b56b0576.jpg

1 hour ago, RPM said:

It's not the cable I'm interested in, it's the vacuum actuator. I know there's only one other lever for the actuator to attach to, but I'd like to see a pic of it. I'd like to see what the marked arm in the pic below attaches to. 

Screenshot_20220705-144212_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aadf1b52d32eb7515300c962b56b0576.jpg

Yes, I was trying to describe you where the marked arm is attached to. On the photo I referenced above, the cable goes over the shaft because of the angle of the photo. When the box is installed, the lever that you are asking about is 2 inches directly below the lever the cable is attached to.

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

This isn't much help, and my spacious glove box is in the way at the moment.

image.thumb.png.b6c468a428b917623d172097a281eef5.png

When the glove box is closed, you can see both levers (lever with cable and level with actuator)  if you look above the foot well.