copb8

Measuring Temperatures - Possible dumb question

I want to set the temperatures at which point my 2 Spal fans come on.

First question. What would you folks think is the ideal temperatures to set for the 1st and then 2nd fan to come on?

Second question. I bought an infrared thermometer to read the engine temps as the dash temp gauge doesn't have any markings for actual temps. Where should I aim this device on the motor to get the most accurate reading?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, copb8 said:

I want to set the temperatures at which point my 2 Spal fans come on.

First question. What would you folks think is the ideal temperatures to set for the 1st and then 2nd fan to come on?

Second question. I bought an infrared thermometer to read the engine temps as the dash temp gauge doesn't have any markings for actual temps. Where should I aim this device on the motor to get the most accurate reading?

Thanks

I would measure the intake by the temp sensor. It is an area before the coolant goes to the radiator.

The factory temp gauge is pretty much useless to determine the actual engine temp.  My 2019 F350 pickup's factory temp gauge is no better.  I'd have the first fan come on at 195 and second one maybe 200. 

1 hour ago, maxum96 said:

The factory temp gauge is pretty much useless to determine the actual engine temp.  My 2019 F350 pickup's factory temp gauge is no better.  I'd have the first fan come on at 195 and send one maybe 200. 

Thanks for the insight. Where would you take the temperature reading from? 

On 6/19/2022 at 7:17 PM, copb8 said:

Thanks for the insight. Where would you take the temperature reading from? 

Intake manifold or if need be, use a thermostat housing with a threaded hole for a sending unit, similar to RPM's photo. 

your sensor of the fan activity should be located at the exit of the radiator/entrance to the engine (lower hose).  basically, if the radiator (without fans) is able to adequately cool the fluid before it enters the engine, then there is no point in turning on the fans or have them turned up.    locating that sensor in the intake manifold will basically have you running the fans more necessary.  which of course won't hurt beyond consuming a little more energy/power at certain times.

Buckeye is correct. 

My sensor is mounted in line in the bottom radiator hose (outflow) my PMW controller uses that outflow inline sensor as the input, then has the job to regulate the outflow temperature of the radiator by varying the air flow (fan speed) to keep the outflow temperature below the thermostat temperature. This allows the thermostat to regulate coolant temperature going to the engine.

With an engine driven fan, the thermostat is in charge of regulating engine temperature.    Same idea.

Having your electric fans operate off of the thermostat housing temperature can cause the thermostat to cycle open and closed.  You can check this with a hand held temperatue sensor.

IMG_3202.jpg

PWM.png

I've seen some sensors location front/behind the cylinder head,  I've seen some that are located on thermostat housing or on lower radiator hose like buckeye mentioned. however, my sensor is on the intake manifold.

just did my contour fan conversion, I have the DD guages and DD bt fan controller.

I set my fan to 190(first fan) and shut off at 185, my second fan goes on at 195 and shut off at 190 (electric fan). another plus to this DD setup if I used the bim i/o cable, both fans can shut off when Im going over 50mph to let air through and not cause any disruption with airflow.

I may need to adjust the temps and relocate the temp sensor as buckeye mentions a good point, as I have noticed my e-fans at times consume some power and noticed the rpms/voltage would drop.

RWC - What temperature thermostat do you have installed?   

On the Ford Contour, pretty sure the temperature sensor is in an assembly that includes the thermostat housing.   

3 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

RWC - What temperature thermostat do you have installed?   

On the Ford Contour, pretty sure the temperature sensor is in an assembly that includes the thermostat housing.   

I have a 180 thermostat.