PaulT

1970 Fuse Block repair

Family

I have a 70 mustang coupe. I was changing fuses and the Black-Yellow stripe wire connected to copper broke. I'm having a difficult time identifying its use. It was attached to the 14A/20A copper connector.  Also, is there a way to repair this connection. 

Paul

20220607_200703.jpg

20220607_200743.jpg

How about, stick solid copper wire under the terminal (between 2 rivets), wrap it around while capturing the broken end under it. Twist the end and solder the copper, broken tab on the wire to the terminal.

2 hours ago, Kris said:

You can buy replacement terminals and rebuild your fuse block. Would be safer than rigging it. 
https://www.cjponyparts.com/fuse-box-repair-kit-1965-1969/p/HW2906/

Those are only for the 65/68 terminal blocks.  The 69 and up require a different style fuse clips.  The aftermarket fuse clips are not make of the same material and are difficult to crimp due to brittleness compare to originals.  Your best bet is to try and solder the tab to the existing base structure.

Thanks for everyone's response.  I thought about soldering but you need a propane torch cause copper needs to get really hot.  I may have to drill out the rivets and remove the clips. 

2 hours ago, PaulT said:

Thanks for everyone's response.  I thought about soldering but you need a propane torch cause copper needs to get really hot.  I may have to drill out the rivets and remove the clips. 

You do not need a prophane torch to solder that, soldering iron will do. You do not need to drill out the rivets to remove the clips. If you look closely to the clips where the fuse is held, you will see small tabs at the outsides; press those little tabs inwards both at the same time (with two small screw drivers or a small needle nose pliers) and the clip will come out. You have to do one clip at a time for that double clip, push one clip out a little, then when you push the other clip, both will come out.