potato

Ideas for adding tach to non-tach car?

My car has no tach.  I would like have one.  Under the hood, its got a HEI distributor with a 1-wire alternator.  I say all that in case that affects my options.

If possible, I'd like to stick with the factory style gauges.  But if I'm understanding correctly, the printed circuit is different as well as some of the pin locations in the big connector that plugs into the back of the gauge cluster.  

Maybe the easiest option is the ugliest one.  Get an aftermarket standalone tach that clamps to the steering column in front of the other gauges.

I have seen the Dakota Digital and VintageUSA gauge kits.  Neither one of them look like they are plug and play.  The dakota digital one looks like a 1-size-fits-every-car brain box they use and then you have to pluck apart your wiring harness to jumper to the dakota digital box, and when you're done, you still have things that don't interface together.  Like requiring a separate pot to dim the dash.

The VintageUSA kits also look like they are not plug-and-play.  It does look like maybe they end up using the existing dash lighting, so the existing dimmer would work on them.  However, the turn signals and bright light indicator look like an after thought.

I see some dashes with holes for 6 gauges.  I'm not clear on whether or not these even have turn signals and bright light indicators.  https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-instruments-6-gauge-set-velocity-series-with-scott-drake-wood-grain-6-hole-instrument-bezel-1969-1970/p/CIVB1KW-V/

Is there something obvious I overlooked?  Is there an easy way to convert the non-tach car to the factory tach style setup? And if so, will that work with an HEI distributor?  I have a "tach out" terminal available.  Otherwise, are there any aftermarket gauges that are more plug and play?

24 minutes ago, potato said:

My car has no tach.  I would like have one.  Under the hood, its got a HEI distributor with a 1-wire alternator.  I say all that in case that affects my options.

If possible, I'd like to stick with the factory style gauges.  But if I'm understanding correctly, the printed circuit is different as well as some of the pin locations in the big connector that plugs into the back of the gauge cluster.  

Maybe the easiest option is the ugliest one.  Get an aftermarket standalone tach that clamps to the steering column in front of the other gauges.

I have seen the Dakota Digital and VintageUSA gauge kits.  Neither one of them look like they are plug and play.  The dakota digital one looks like a 1-size-fits-every-car brain box they use and then you have to pluck apart your wiring harness to jumper to the dakota digital box, and when you're done, you still have things that don't interface together.  Like requiring a separate pot to dim the dash.

The VintageUSA kits also look like they are not plug-and-play.  It does look like maybe they end up using the existing dash lighting, so the existing dimmer would work on them.  However, the turn signals and bright light indicator look like an after thought.

I see some dashes with holes for 6 gauges.  I'm not clear on whether or not these even have turn signals and bright light indicators.  https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-instruments-6-gauge-set-velocity-series-with-scott-drake-wood-grain-6-hole-instrument-bezel-1969-1970/p/CIVB1KW-V/

Is there something obvious I overlooked?  Is there an easy way to convert the non-tach car to the factory tach style setup? And if so, will that work with an HEI distributor?  I have a "tach out" terminal available.  Otherwise, are there any aftermarket gauges that are more plug and play?

You pretty much have nailed it.  Easiest, cheapest option is a stand-alone tach.  Would run $60-100.

Aftermarket dash clusters are certainly not plug-n-play, fairly expensive, then add in your labor (or someone else's) to wire it and you're looking an $800+ easy.

There's some jerk named Midlife that can convert underdash harnesses to tach compatible.  But...you'll first need to find a factory tach dash.  Those now run $1000-1500 in good shape.  Add in wiring changes for everything forward of the tail-light and you're looking at another $3-400.

Final option is to sell your car and find another one that already has a tach.  Downside is that you now have a new set of unknown issues to fix...

I have all Autometer gauges in an aftermarket instrument panel.  I had to wire them in to the stock harness.  That was not a big deal as the only things I need were 12V power, instrument light, and fuel gauge sending wire.  I run a mechanical water temp and oil pressure gauges along with an electronic speedometer.  My tach is wired into my MSD box velcro'd to the passenger side cowl above the vent. 

IMG_9965.JPG

There is a company in Pennsylvania that makes a reproduction in dash tach that is pretty similar to the originals. It does not require any modifications to the original non tach wiring harness. The alternator warning light does function a little bit differently than an original though. It comes on for overvoltage and undervoltage. My paperwork said about 11.8v for undervoltage and about 14.2v for overvoltage. On my car it is actually about 11.5v for undervoltage and about 14.5v for overvoltage.

I plug the tach directly into the tach output on my MSD 6AL box. On my dash cluster I chose to move the fuel gauge to the right side and I kept the alternator gauge on the left side, since I have temp and oil pressure gauges on the console. It could be setup just like an original tach car if a person wanted it that way though.

9124D4EA-624E-4E2C-9F5B-35B67EF84268.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Busch said:

There is a company in Pennsylvania that makes a reproduction in dash tach that is pretty similar to the originals. It does not require any modifications to the original non tach wiring harness. The alternator warning light does function a little bit differently than an original though. It comes on for overvoltage and undervoltage. My paperwork said about 11.8v for undervoltage and about 14.2v for overvoltage. On my car it is actually about 11.5v for undervoltage and about 14.5v for overvoltage.

I plug the tach directly into the tach output my MSD 6AL box. On my dash cluster I chose to move the fuel gauge to the right side and I kept the alternator gauge on the left side, since I have temp and oil pressure gauges on the console. It could be setup just like an original tach car if a person wanted it that way though.

9124D4EA-624E-4E2C-9F5B-35B67EF84268.jpeg

Do you happen to know the name or website for this company?

18 minutes ago, Boss429Dreamer said:

Check this out: Mustang Tach Cluster (boss302.com) I did this to my car, works great. I am running original points distributor so don't know if it will work with HEI setup.

Not entirely correct, as it does not address the installation of the alternator indicator lamp, which requires a 15 ohm resistor wire embedded in the harness. 

I run the stock tach and I will suggest you get one big enough to see.  My stock set up is so far inset in the dash cluster it takes a while to focus.  I don't like taking my eyes off the road for that long.  Numbers are not big enough and the lighting is poor. I have mine taped/marked with the important numbers.  A large one on the column with shift points/lights would be the ticket.  Brian

69 Tach - Copy.JPG

I stumbled across another option for you.  Mike Williams of Orlando Mustang makes a tach insert into the standard dash cluster without altering the circuit card and main harness wiring for less than $1000.  He provides a tach harness for you to get the power, ground, and signal sources.

PM me if you want his contact number.