potato

Upgrade coupe from standard to deluxe interior panels?

I would like to upgrade the interior in my coupe. It currently has standard.  I like the look of the woodgrain. 

Assuming I get my hands on the deluxe left and right side dash, door panels, and rear side trim panels, will those just bolt right in place of the standard interior?

I see the door panels and dash seem to be readily available.  Is there a place to get the rear panels and armrests?

You mean the quarter trim panels for a coupe? A quick search didn't reveal anything but verts and fastbacks. I find this strange since there are lots of coupes out there. 

This is the only one I found and it has a big speaker added: https://www.mpproductsstore.com/19691970-mustang-coupe-interior-quarter-trim-panel-wspea19691970.html.

Why can't you use your existing panels- the deluxe interior doesn't have wood grain on the back panels.

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Why can't you use your existing panels- the deluxe interior doesn't have wood grain on the back panels.

I just like the look of the woodgrain stuff.  I dont think my current interior has the little recess for the walnut and chrome inserts like on the back seat of this one.

I found the wood inserts on ebay, but not the panel itself to mount them to.

Gulfstream Aqua Blue 1969 Ford Mustang Grande Hardtop - MustangAttitude.com  Mobile

That's a Grandé and a quick internet search shows that they came with woodgrain in the back. This might be one of those things that's unique to that model. I know the deluxe convertibles and sportsroof's didn't get it. Maybe somebody with a coupe that's got a deluxe interior will chime in.

I have the Grande' rear interior panels in my 1969 Hardtop ... got them from a junk yard Grande' in the 80's ... a huge difference vs. the plain steel painted panels.   

I don't know if the basic steel panel is the same as a non-Grande' but padded vinyl is added along with the arm rests and woodgrain panels.       

The padded vinyl is also embossed around the woodgrain, which might be hard to duplicate if the vinyl need replacing. 

Mine are all original including the vinyl.    Definitely a great upgrade if you can find as set in decent shape.

Doug

You can see the vinyl details pretty good in this pic:

SD 3-PT Seat Full Fwd.JPG

Those of us with our worthless " red-headed-stepchild" Hardtops ... this is probably our only "ONE-UP" / bragging feature we (can) have that no big brother highly sought after Sportsroof car could have !!

That and a back window you can actually see out of, a back seat that 1 or 2 average size people could sit in, and a larger / more usable trunk ... features that just don't matter in the '69-70 Sportsroof world !!

Doug 

4 minutes ago, stangs-R-me said:

Those of us with our worthless " red-headed-stepchild" Hardtops ... this is probably our only "ONE-UP" / bragging feature we (can) have that no big brother highly sought after Sportsroof car could have !!

That and a back window you can actually see out of, a back seat that 1 or 2 average size people could sit in, and a larger / more usable trunk ... features that just don't matter in the '69-70 Sportsroof world !!

Doug 

The tbird still manages to 1-up even the grande coupe interior.  Bigger back seat with room for full sized adults instead of 5yr old kids, wrap around back seat so you could be comfortable while getting fresh with your girlfriend, I think 3 separate ash trays in the back so your kids could smoke, interior lights in the back, and the trunk is stupid huge compared to even the coupe mustang.

When I go to the shooting range, I use a jogging stroller to carry my stuff.  None of my old cars can fit the jogging stroller in the trunk except the tbird.  On my fastback, it wont even fit through the tiny door.  On my coupe, it will fit in the door, but its too wide to allow the trunk to close.  In the tbird, the stroller fits with tons of room to spare.

image.thumb.png.f9817d241a4e15ca8b6592226afc4060.pngimage.thumb.png.c2f94a579d0f83c2826d8e5f2a25f56c.png

1 hour ago, stangs-R-me said:

Doug 

OK, I have to admit that I've never paid attention to the coupes (uh, sorry), but why is the back seat bigger and the trunk? The coupe isn't longer is it? Something doesn't jive.

image.png.6fe2795df828b67568b5b9987484a649.png

6 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

but why is the back seat bigger and the trunk? The coupe isn't longer is it?

From the roof to the tail light panel, on a fastback its a big sheet of glass and then a tiny little trunk lid.

From the roof to the tail light panel on a coupe, the back glass drops down and then the body shoots back and there's a lot longer space for a larger trunk lid.  The trunk is probably the same size for coupe and fastback, but the trunk opening for the fastback is smaller.

I imagine the models with fold down back seats, that may take up some of your trunk space.

Lot of people that own sportsroof cars may not ever sat in the back seat. I know when the guy came to look at mine that bought it, I sat in the back because he and his son were up front, I had to almost lay down to ride back there. The roof comes down back there and head room disappears.  

On 5/31/2022 at 9:28 AM, potato said:

I just like the look of the woodgrain stuff.  I dont think my current interior has the little recess for the walnut and chrome inserts like on the back seat of this one.

I found the wood inserts on ebay, but not the panel itself to mount them to.

Gulfstream Aqua Blue 1969 Ford Mustang Grande Hardtop - MustangAttitude.com  Mobile

Just FYI, 1970 Grande does not have the walnut/chrome insert and arm rest on the back.

10 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Just FYI, 1970 Grande does not have the walnut/chrome insert and arm rest on the back.

I guess I did not know or remember that little fact that they were 1969 only.   

Just looked in my old Mustang Recognition Guide, and sure enough the interior picture of the 1970 Grande' shows plain rear panels and they are also absent in the upgrade contents list.

Doug 

28 minutes ago, stangs-R-me said:

I guess I did not know or remember that little fact that they were 1969 only.   

Just looked in my old Mustang Recognition Guide, and sure enough the interior picture of the 1970 Grande' shows plain rear panels and they are also absent in the upgrade contents list.

Doug 

Yup, neither of my 2 1970 Grandes have them, but my 1969 Grande has.

My front door panels arrived today.  I could use some input on what all I'll need to get these installed in the car that was originally basic interior.

It looks like the plastic door handle cups are cracked on both.  Then I think there's a bracket and some screws that I'll need to attach the door cup to the door itself?  And some sort of little black filler panel that goes behind the door handle.  Does anybody have a link to purchase some of these parts?  I see 2 completely different versions of the armrest mounting brackets available online.

My passenger side looks like it also could use the little chrome grommet for the lock knob.

And maybe I'll try my hand at one of those vinyl repair kits on the couple of splits in it.

image.thumb.png.8332dbfdfcdf34b05639f3b03958e21a.pngimage.thumb.png.bed616ce3a9b46372a70a968987e47b9.png

image.thumb.png.4f3b1ff80bee182895d78083003dc849.png

57 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

This may help

image.thumb.png.150394eec0ec533d66b66aeae2e06894.png

Thanks.  That helps for some of the parts.  

I see the part 240A10.  Looks like there is a reproduction part with that exact part number, and the longer one they say is 240A10-B.  They appear to have the mounting holes in different relation to each other, so it should hopefully be easy to hold the panel up to the door and verify which one will fit.

There are some details not shown still like the lock knob grommets and the black trim pieces that go behind the handle.  https://www.cjponyparts.com/deluxe-door-handle-trim-plate-pair-1969-1970/p/DPDT-V/

19 minutes ago, jjstang said:

I don’t know if this is an issue for you but the 69 and 70 are different Length. There is a bracket behind the panel that the cup screws into. I think the brackets are different too. 

To clarify, door panel o/a sizes are the same as is the woodgrain insert.

The door cup pulls are LONGER on a '69 Panel than '70, and the pics posted appear to be the longer '69 type.

Factory '69 Door Cup pulls were pot metal and you can get repro's in either pot metal or plastic.   As easy as the factory ones broke, avoid the plastic ones.

I'm thinking the breakage issue might have been the reason for the change ... but if the shorter '70 door pulls really hold up better than the longer 69's I don't know.

Doug   

On 6/20/2022 at 2:48 PM, rockhouse66 said:

Here is what the door looks like behind a deluxe panel.

DSC03811.JPG

Note that the two clips on the top of the door must be removed when installing the deluxe panel. My car had been converted sometime in the '90s and I could not understand why the door panel would always bust up the chrome on my door locks. The panel just didn't sit right with those clips in place.

9541894836_2e7ae159fb_h.jpg