Jump to content
rwcstang

Contour Fan conversion - what parts you used to mount them?

Recommended Posts

Hey yall

Going with a reproduction Dual Contour Fan from Late model restoration (LMR.com) and using a Dakota Digital Fan controller w/ bluetooth, since I have the RTX gauges. I also have a Tuff Stuff 1g wire 130 amp alternator. 

Was wondering what you guys did to mount the fan to the 24" Aluminum radiator?

  • did you make custom L brackets or make any custom brackets to accommodate the stock mounting location of the fan?
  • used any some type of rubber strip between the radiator and fan? (if so, do you know the p/n?)
  • any suggestions
  • any photos would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2022 at 8:24 AM, buening said:

I don't know that it helps much, but here is what I did with the Taurus fan:  

 

Thanks Buening! good info here.

 

has anyone used a Nissan Pwm fan controller in their electric fan install, or would that be fore EFI models? I've read this is a popular swap on 79-93 Mustangs, to keep the Amps down and does a soft start and doesn't spike like most fan controllers.

Currently have the Dakota Digital blue tooth Fan relay that Im going to install since its less wiring connecting to my BIM Controller, but not sure if this helps prevent spikes when the fan switches on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, update!

 

Finally got my Contour Fan Installed and running. it was a fairly hot day (80 degrees) and engine temps were going from 185-190, seemed the single fan was able to keep down temps as the 2nd fan never kicked off. I used Dakota digital fan relay, PAC-2800BT since I have the RTX Series and give it a cleaner look and less wiring.

 

I used 2 x 70 amp relays from DD.

 

after looking around old threads for mounting ideas, I decided to go with an L Bracket to mount the dual fan. we had to trim the original mounts but otherwise, the installation was a breeze and fit like a glove.

 

I ran diagnostics to check sensors and ran Test Mode via the app and I was able to trigger low and high fans and now the drive, the real test!

 

The single fan was able to kick off with no problem during my drive, with the DD Accessories App, I was able to set up my low & high Temps for both fans. Low would kick off around 188, and close at 185. the second fan, would turn on around 190 and turn off at 188.

 

The single fan was working great, didn't seem to struggle, and definitely could feel it was pulling a lot of air. Today was hot and humid, so engine temps did go up slightly and hit 190 but didn't hear the second fan kick-off, most likely when I drove, the air would make the temps go down since I'm moving in stop-and-go traffic but didn't see it rise above 190.

 

The question I have is would you recommend if I should have both fans going on at the same time or should I have one running and the other kick-off when it gets over 190? This is the first time playing with the setup.

 

Overall, happy with the conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you started this thread, I have been wondering the same thing on how to mount the same fans to my ACP radiator.  Also, since we have the same guages/fan controller this info is gold to me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2022 at 9:46 PM, lalojamesliz said:

I'm glad you started this thread, I have been wondering the same thing on how to mount the same fans to my ACP radiator.  Also, since we have the same guages/fan controller this info is gold to me! 

np, ill post more pictures of how the contour fans are mounted.

today, I decided to adjust the temp via app again as I wanted both fans to be on as it was really hot today.

  • first fan - 180 on | 177 off
  • second fan - 185 on | 180 off

Both fans were on and pulling alot of air, temps were between 180-185. didn't go over 185. this is a win and happy with it.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2022 at 6:12 PM, rwcstang said:

np, ill post more pictures of how the contour fans are mounted.

today, I decided to adjust the temp via app again as I wanted both fans to be on as it was really hot today.

  • first fan - 180 on | 177 off
  • second fan - 185 on | 180 off

Both fans were on and pulling alot of air, temps were between 180-185. didn't go over 185. this is a win and happy with it.

 

 

 

 

 

I'm definitely still learning but aren't those temps too low?   What's the thermostat temp you have?

I forgot to check back sooner...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

 

I'm definitely still learning but aren't those temps too low?   What's the thermostat temp you have?

I forgot to check back sooner...

This would depend on thermostat/environment, my 408w has a 180 thermostat, still testing the fans and trying to find that sweet spot.

Also, this weekend was very hot so I wanted to adjust the fans to come on sooner just to see how it worked. however, even with the 140amp 1 wire alternator, these fans are putting load at idle its jumps from 14.5v and drops to 13.8v - 12.5-7v with both fans on. however, when driving it shoots back up at 14.5v so instead of having both fans going on I re-adjusted the temps again for the second fan to come on a little later.

any suggestions if that type of change in voltage normal? still trying to learn this electrical fan thing as its something new to me. new settings: low fan at 180 and 188 for the high fan. its now between 13.5v - 14v at idle.

also, human error on my part, as I was adjusting the temp via iOS and I noticed the app was throwing off a different temp number compared to the gauges. after reading the manual (go figure) and ran diagnostics, I forgot to configure the temp sender. its now using the BIM I/O cable and now reading accurately with the app and gauges.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2022 at 5:38 PM, rwcstang said:

This would depend on thermostat/environment, my 408w has a 180 thermostat, still testing the fans and trying to find that sweet spot.

Also, this weekend was very hot so I wanted to adjust the fans to come on sooner just to see how it worked. however, even with the 140amp 1 wire alternator, these fans are putting load at idle its jumps from 14.5v and drops to 13.8v - 12.5-7v with both fans on. however, when driving it shoots back up at 14.5v so instead of having both fans going on I re-adjusted the temps again for the second fan to come on a little later.

any suggestions if that type of change in voltage normal? still trying to learn this electrical fan thing as its something new to me. new settings: low fan at 180 and 188 for the high fan. its now between 13.5v - 14v at idle.

also, human error on my part, as I was adjusting the temp via iOS and I noticed the app was throwing off a different temp number compared to the gauges. after reading the manual (go figure) and ran diagnostics, I forgot to configure the temp sender. its now using the BIM I/O cable and now reading accurately with the app and gauges.

 

 

Only 1 day late this time for me to reply..... I'm getting better!

I would consider the voltage drop normal because at idle the alternator puts out little amperage. I have a 140 amp alt from CVF that I bought with my pulley system.  

Do you have the same one?

Glad to hear that the fans could control the temps that low. 

Side story.....I had a custom 300 amp hairpin alternator for some car audio set up I had and the car I had it on would idle low while in drive if it was in drive. Well, the alternator needed another 100 rpm's to "turn on" and while idling at red lights my voltage would drop to mid to low 12's.  I wasn't happy with that $700 alternator 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

 

Only 1 day late this time for me to reply..... I'm getting better!

I would consider the voltage drop normal because at idle the alternator puts out little amperage. I have a 140 amp alt from CVF that I bought with my pulley system.  

Do you have the same one?

Glad to hear that the fans could control the temps that low. 

Side story.....I had a custom 300 amp hairpin alternator for some car audio set up I had and the car I had it on would idle low while in drive if it was in drive. Well, the alternator needed another 100 rpm's to "turn on" and while idling at red lights my voltage would drop to mid to low 12's.  I wasn't happy with that $700 alternator 

Nah I have the tuff stuff 1g 140amp alternator. $700 is a bit much for my taste lol.

adjusted the second fan to go on later and shut off early so it would not put a major load on the alternator, I’m now between 14.0 - 14.5v at idle since the single fan is on. 

for those out there running the contour fan, is this Normal for voltage to fluctuate at idle when both fans are on? I have 2 x 70 amp relays. Would I need to run a fuse on each relay? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rwcstang said:

Nah I have the tuff stuff 1g 140amp alternator. $700 is a bit much for my taste lol.

adjusted the second fan to go on later and shut off early so it would not put a major load on the alternator, I’m now between 14.0 - 14.5v at idle since the single fan is on. 

for those out there running the contour fan, is this Normal for voltage to fluctuate at idle when both fans are on? I have 2 x 70 amp relays. Would I need to run a fuse on each relay? 
 

 

 

I'm going to run a fuse for each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, I need to check amperage to get the right fuse. from what I was told by dakota digital tech support a 30 amp fuse should do the trick. this is the one thing I haven't done.

I'll need to install a fuse for each relay this weekend and install it one on the green wire.

 

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 10.19.13 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2022 at 6:12 PM, rwcstang said:

np, ill post more pictures of how the contour fans are mounted.

today, I decided to adjust the temp via app again as I wanted both fans to be on as it was really hot today.

  • first fan - 180 on | 177 off
  • second fan - 185 on | 180 off

Both fans were on and pulling alot of air, temps were between 180-185. didn't go over 185. this is a win and happy with it.

 

 

 

 

 

Any chance you can post a picture of how you mounted the fans?  I plan to do this now and would love some ideas 

I couldn't decide on how to run my wiring but since I figured that out, I want to mount the fans and wire them up.

Thanks man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sure, just fyi you are going to trim the contour mount tabs as they will not line up to the shroud mount locations.

to make it fit, we looked around homedeport and found these type of L frame Brackets, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-in-x-96-in-Aluminum-Angle-with-1-16-in-Thick-802607/204273998

we drilled some holes to match the mounting point in the radiator, and drilled a few holes on side of the plastic shroud. reused the original radiator screws/clips and had some extra screws with nylon nuts to mount the fan.

haven't had an issue since, no noise or vibration. I re-adjust the temps and notice some performance difference, so first fan is at 185 and the second one goes off at 195. haven't seen this creep over to 200.

IMG_8248.HEIC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2022 at 8:54 AM, jjstang said:

Hey, any pics of the way you installed the fan?  TIA

Better late than never.....  RPM gave me the idea for the U nuts. Drill holes in the shroud to mount them with washers.

20220825_131100.jpg

20220829_125647.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...