copb8

Opinions on Gear Vendors Overdrive Units

My car currently has an FMX 3-speed transmission with a 3.50 rear-end. It's 'snappy' off the line but not a great highway cruiser. I'm wanting to make the car better at traveling some distances without beating it to death and I don't want it to be a dog off the line or have to drive 60-65 mph when traveling.

There seems to be 3 options. 1) change my rear gearset and lose off the line punch, 2) replace the FMX with an AOD which seem to always take more work and tuning than everyone thinks, or 3) add a Gear Vendor overdrive unit to my existing setup.

The gear vendor unit is expensive at $3K plus the labor to install it, although I'd probably do that myself. I also think it's a little kludgy with it's overdrive button, although there is an automatic mode. The AOD sounds awesome but I'd want a qualified shop to just do it and make it work, but the $$$ may be getting pretty high. Changing the rear-set is the cheapest but also has the biggest compromise on performance.

So let me hear your opinions. And I'd especially like to hear from anyone who's gone the Gear Vendor route. Are there alternatives to GVs that are more reasonable?

I have the FMX also, but when I looked at the Gear Vendor, there wasn't an automatic mode. Do you know how they accomplish that? Something to think about is the need to make the driveshaft significantly shorter and how that affects driveline angles and vibrations. 

Instead of an AOD I intend to go with a 4R70W, which is the last version of the AOD that improved all its shortcomings. It requires an electronic transmission control and, if you're handy, it is a bolt-in conversion, but the driveshaft does need to be shortened somewhat. There is a guy that makes transmission supports and a shifter mod that allows the use of the stock shifter. If you're interested I'll find his contact information.

Heres a thread on the 4R70W;

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/1965-4r70w-conversion-complete-how-to-pic-heavy.1119498/page-8

I have a c4 with a gear vendors and love it.  The automatic mode is really all I use.  Auto mode works via a control box that gets a signal from the speedo cable via the adapter that is used to connect a Ford cable to it.  I'll post pics when i'm home but I mounted the on off switch on the shifter and the auto/manual switch under the dash.   I changed my diff from 2.80 to 3.55 and with the gv my RPMs are basically the same.  These units are basically indestructible mine came used off a few hard years of drag car duty.  I had it inspected at a gv authorized shop and they said it looked fine.  Sometimes you can find them on old motorhomes and medium worktrucks.  I did get a custom shaft made but have no ill affects.  The trans also needed to be lowered a 1/4 inch but we were able to modify the standard brace.  One note I will make if you are driving it hard you do really feel the shift into OD but I find that enhances the fun.

Thanks guys.

I followed the 4R70W thread. I'd worry buying a used transmission off of ebay that I'd get all the work done and then find the transmission had issues.

I found this company selling rebuilt with warranty 4R70W transmissions:

Monster Transmission 4R70W  (don't worry, you don't have to get green)

The price seems very reasonable and seems to include much of the big ticket items needed. I see an optional transmission controller is available but it's $1700!! Is that necessary for a transmission that won't be custom tuned for performance?

It seems Lentech is a much smaller company out of Canada. What is it about them that you prefer? They don't show pricing so I don't know whether they're cheaper, similar or more expensive that Monster.

This is old pricing, but will give you an idea:

Lentech Automatics

Street Bruiser AODE/4R70W

Economical Performer

Part# 7000-4R70-BRS  $2295.00
Rated to 500 h.p.
Overview: The Street Cruiser is an improved alternative to a stock replacement transmission. It is designed to provide much better shift quality, control and reliability, and it carries Lentech’s famous Lifetime Ltd. Warranty!.

Economical Performer
Part# 7000-4R70-BRS
Rated to 500 h.p.
Overview: The Street Cruiser is an improved alternative to a stock replacement transmission. It is designed to provide much better shift quality, control and reliability, and it carries Lentech's famous Lifetime Ltd. Warranty!.
Specifications
· Quality selected core, completely stripped, all major components washed and inspected for excessive wear
· Clutch cylinders modified for extra clutches
· Numerous modifications in strategic areas for efficient clutch operation and life
· 6 or 7 high-energy 3-4 clutches
· 3 or 4 OEM quality intermediate clutches
· 5 OEM quality forward clutches
· 3 or 4 OEM reverse clutches
· New 2" O/D band
· All new seals, gaskets, and filter
· New bushings and thrustwasher (where needed)
· New intermediate one-way clutch and spiral lock ring
· New low one-way clutch
· Lentech recalibrated Valve Body with automatic shifting
· New oil pan and bolts

Available Convertors
· 12" ( lockup ) Part# 7902-CONV-12LU
· 9.5" (lockup) Part# 7902-CONV-95LU
Available Upgrades
Lentech Cast, Aluminum Pan Part# 7A194-AOD-CST

Street Terminator AODE/4R70W

Part# 7000-4R70-STT  $2795.00
Rated to 700 hp.
Overview: Street Terminator AODE/4R70W transmissions maintain fully automatic shifting for street ability. They are recommended for most performance engines that may see street usage. Each unit receives several key internal modifications and upgrades for increased durability. It is highly Enthusiast's Choice Part# 7000-4R70-STTRated to 700 hp.
Overview: Street Terminator AODE/4R70W transmissions maintain fully automatic shifting for street ability. They are recommended for most performance engines that may see street usage. Each unit receives several key internal modifications and upgrades for increased durability. It is highly recommended that higher than stock axle ratio be installed (3.55 or higher) in conjunction with this transmission model. Auxiliary transmission oil coolers are also highly recommended.

Specifications
· Quality selected core, completely stripped, all major components washed and inspected for excessive wear
· Numerous modifications in strategic areas for efficient clutch operation and life
· 7 "high energy" 3-4 clutches
· 4 intermediate clutches
· 5 or 6 "high energy" forward clutches
· 3 or 4 reverse clutches
· New 2" High energy O/D band
· Billet midshaft
· Lentech recalibrated Valve Body with automatic shifting and increased base operating pressure to increase longevity.
· New oil pan and bolts
· Re-assembled with all critical clearances adjusted for high performance use. recommended that higher than stock axle ratio be installed (3.55 or higher) in conjunction with this transmission model. Auxiliary transmission oil coolers are also highly recommended.

Enthusiast's Choice

Part# 7000-4R70-STT

Rated to 700 hp.
Overview: Street Terminator AODE/4R70W transmissions maintain fully automatic shifting for street ability. They are recommended for most performance engines that may see street usage. Each unit receives several key internal modifications and upgrades for increased durability. It is highly recommended that higher than stock axle ratio be installed (3.55 or higher) in conjunction with this transmission model. Auxiliary transmission oil coolers are also highly recommended.

Specifications
· 7 "high energy" 3-4 clutches
· 4 intermediate clutches
· 5 or 6 "high energy" forward clutches
· 3 or 4 reverse clutches
· New 2" High energy O/D band
· Billet midshaft
· Lentech recalibrated Valve Body with automatic shifting and increased base operating pressure to increase longevity.
· New oil pan and bolts
· Re-assembled with all critical clearances adjusted for high performance use.

· Cast gray finish
· All complete units are dyno tested to insure a quality product
· Lifetime LTD warranty

Available Convertors
10" ( lockup ) Part# 7902-CONV-10LU
9.5" (lockup ) Part# 7902-CONV-95LU

Available Upgrades
Transbrake valvebody upgrade Part#7000-OPT-STTB

Strip Terminator AODE/4R70W

For the EXTREME enthusiast  $3695.00
Proven to 1500hp/1000lb/ft

The Strip Terminator AODE/4R70W transmission is in a new class all by itself. A manual shift, fixed pressure valvebody is standard fare. (Autoshift available) Incorporated into this valvebody is Lentech’s famous Reverse/Third technology for huge torque capacity. It is recommended for wild performance vehicles that see limited street usage.