Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

Hydroboost Braking

Hello All

I wanted your input on hydratechbraking, Has anyone ever used them? 

I wanted to eliminate the vac booster as my cam has taken all of the vacuum from the booster, so it's a freight train when stopping...almost reminded me of when I had drums and it was manual brakes... 

wanted your input on this conversion or brand, also did any of you who did the conversion add an oil cooler to prevent foaming with heavy use? 

current setup

• 351w w/ 1 5/8 headman headers
  • MDL 5 speed conversion w/ ext clutch slave
  • stock power steering ram with a drop bracket
  • running a 5.0L Serpentine power steering pump. 

I have the Hydratech unit, love it. Hydratechbraking has the most fantastic customer service I have ever experienced.

I haven't run a cooler before, but I am going to run one in the future. I've not had any problems with foaming, but the PS fluid has been very hot. I run the Hydraboost in combination with a TCP power rack and the KRC pump with an external tank. 

10 hours ago, fvike said:

I have the Hydratech unit, love it. Hydratechbraking has the most fantastic customer service I have ever experienced.

I haven't run a cooler before, but I am going to run one in the future. I've not had any problems with foaming, but the PS fluid has been very hot. I run the Hydraboost in combination with a TCP power rack and the KRC pump with an external tank. 

@fvike which setup did you go with the GM or Ford Cast Iron unit? can you post a photos of your install and how your lines are routed? I was thinking of TCP rack n pinion myself, but thats up in the air aswell.

I got this a while back, ca 2007, so I can't really remember, but I think it's Ford #3662 I got. There wasn't so may models then. I had to modify my brakepedal to make it work, I probably had a 1970 brake pedal. I also had to change the rod in mine to use the big Wilwood MC. But again, there was only one model to choose from then, and Hydratech basicly coustomized it to my car/MC combo.

I have/had the PS tank on the driver side of the engine bay. A AN -10 goes from the tank to the pump.  All other lines are An -6. The pump sends pressure to the Hydraboost first. This was routed around the shock tower. The Hydraboost have a low pressure return that runs back to the tank, also around the shock tower. The Hydraboost high pressure return runs back around the shock tower and down to the rack 'n pinion. The return from the rack goes back in the tank. The KRC tank only has one return inlet, so I modified mine with an weld in AN -6 bung on the opposite side.

8086829010_7461ddb98f_b.jpg

This is a bad picture, but you can see the line routing. 

8086850576_8b57e90a38_b.jpg

Same, both pictures are obviously post crash.

As I am currently restoring the car (Year 10) , I'll be routing the lines differently now. I'll have a cooler, so return from the rack will go to the cooler, then to the tank. Also, I'll be routing the lines outside the engien compartments thru the bulkheads on the inner fender walls. I'll also use jacketed PTFE braided hoses this time to save the paint. https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/hose-fuel-ptfe-stainless-steel-braided-black-jacketed/

52045009971_fa756b6a94_b.jpg

52045522300_a982ea4927_b.jpg

The lines will run on the backside of the shock tower thru the bulkheads.