Mountaineerfan

What project to attack?

Hey, folks!

I find myself with a little extra bonus cash that is being earmarked for the car, so I'm curious as to what you all would choose to attack first:

I want to do the window conversion from 69 to 70 (new glass, chrome, weatherstripping, mounts).  Glue-In glass will be the death of me.

I would like to change out the dual exhaust mufflers to get rid of the drone (and rattle) of the old worn out ones.

Those are the two big things.  I have the car running nicely, and would like to do both things.

What would you do first?

Cleaning the glass bracket and using new 3M adhesive was one of the easier projects I did. IMO swapping to bolt in glass is an 80s thing and archaic since quality adhesives are available. The West Coast Classic Cougar install video is priceless. Just my 2 cents, er... make that 5 cents due to inflation. 

I've done one side of my glue-in glass repair and the other side is almost done.  I did not get the applicator so I wasted some and had to get a second tube.

I had a shop put in all new exhaust front to back with Dynomax Super Turbo 17733, cross pipe and curved turn downs behind the valance.  I love the sound.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, TexasEd said:

I've done one side of my glue-in glass repair and the other side is almost done.  I did not get the applicator so I wasted some and had to get a second tube.

I had a shop put in all new exhaust front to back with Dynomax Super Turbo 17733, cross pipe and curved turn downs behind the valance.  I love the sound.

When I bought my car it had stock exhaust manifolds and magnaflow mufflers. The whole system was in poor repair. The drone around 2000 rpms was horrible. I took it to a muffler shop and they cleaned everything up and added resonators after the mufflers. The drone is better now for sure, but not gone. My real issue is the sound out the back is so benign now that I feel the car has lost a lot of character.

The setup you described sounds great.

Do you have any drone? Are you using headers or stock manifolds? Is your car a Windsor or a Cleveland?

Who doesn't like a walk around? Especially of such a cool car as yours. What color red is that? It sure looks good. BTW, you're 75? I guess I expect cats older than me to be old and crabby.  :)

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Who doesn't like a walk around? Especially of such a cool car as yours. What color red is that? It sure looks good. BTW, you're 75? I guess I expect cats older than me to be old and crabby.  :)

Thanks Bob. That red paint came from a place called SPI down the road from me in Blairsville Ga. He mostly sold primers and clearcoat. At the time I purchased the paint from him he only had white, black and three shades of red the one I got was simply dark red. I sold that car a while back to a guy out in your area, somewhere in Bakersfield. You may see it at some car shows in your area. I have regretted selling it a 1000 times. Yes I am 75, my son and I restored a 70 Chevelle after I restored the Mach 1 and I have been debating if I have enough time left to do another Mustang, I love those 69's. 

On 5/13/2022 at 3:03 PM, copb8 said:

When I bought my car it had stock exhaust manifolds and magnaflow mufflers. The whole system was in poor repair. The drone around 2000 rpms was horrible. I took it to a muffler shop and they cleaned everything up and added resonators after the mufflers. The drone is better now for sure, but not gone. My real issue is the sound out the back is so benign now that I feel the car has lost a lot of character.

The setup you described sounds great.

Do you have any drone? Are you using headers or stock manifolds? Is your car a Windsor or a Cleveland?

I had an exhaust leak at the manifolds (bad collector connection) so I used the opportunity to add JBA Shorty Headers.  I have the original 302W and no drone