Sign in to follow this  
Noobstang

Money for the real McCoy or kit car?!?!

Good Day all. I am running into an issue here and need expert advice. I've come across a 1969 Mustang Fastback for $5K but this thing needs some SERIOUS work!! Like everything replaced on it it's that bad. Also no title and Bill of sell only. The issue that I am having is, do I spend more money to completely rebuild this Fastback or do I piece together a kit car that looks like a '69 Fastback Mach 1? TIA

Well, welcome to the forum, and some pics of the condition of the car in question would certainly help. Many a folk have brought back Mustangs to life that I wouldn't touch. What is a kit car that looks like a 69 fastback Mach 1? I've not heard of one. 

Just offering an opinion.  Personally, if you are doing the work yourself, ANY intact 69 fastback is worth 5K in ANY condition.  But, if you are paying other people to do the work, I would keep walking.  By kit car, I assume you mean a fastback conversion?  I really don’t know why someone would go to all that trouble if they could spend a little more money for the real McCoy.

On 4/20/2022 at 11:42 AM, RPM said:

Well, welcome to the forum, and some pics of the condition of the car in question would certainly help. Many a folk have brought back Mustangs to life that I wouldn't touch. What is a kit car that looks like a 69 fastback Mach 1? I've not heard of one. 

I will work on getting you pictures of the Fastback the needs work. I will have to find the pictures off of FB marketplace to put up here. And the kit car you can buy that I am talking about is on this website https://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/1969-ford-mustang-fastback/ . 

On 4/20/2022 at 12:35 PM, BobW70Mach1 said:

Just offering an opinion.  Personally, if you are doing the work yourself, ANY intact 69 fastback is worth 5K in ANY condition.  But, if you are paying other people to do the work, I would keep walking.  By kit car, I assume you mean a fastback conversion?  I really don’t know why someone would go to all that trouble if they could spend a little more money for the real McCoy.

And sadly I will have to have other people do the work for me due to the fact that I do not have the tools or heavy equipment needed to properly do it. And should I keep looking for the real McCoy? 

You'd be better off buying the best completed car you can find given you don't have the tools/equipment to do a full restoration.  Let someone else eat the costs of restoration that almost always is never recovered when the car is sold.

The amount of funds you'll be spending to outfit a dynacorn chassis will be north of $20k.  Even so, it will not be a genuine Ford product that's 50+ years old.  A good refurbished fastback can be found (with time...) for less than the cost of the new chassis and outfitting. 

On 4/20/2022 at 11:42 AM, RPM said:

. What is a kit car that looks like a 69 fastback Mach 1? I've not heard of one. 

When I was 17 and poor, my first car was a '72 maverick/comet mutt.  That was the poor man's mustang fastback.  Mine had the factory non-functional hood scoop.

Looks like there are folks out there sticking fake side scoops and mustang badges on them.  :D

52767653.jpg

110339_d56be61b58f2afb6.jpg

21 hours ago, potato said:

When I was 17 and poor, my first car was a '72 maverick/comet mutt.  That was the poor man's mustang fastback.  Mine had the factory non-functional hood scoop.

Looks like there are folks out there sticking fake side scoops and mustang badges on them.  :D

52767653.jpg

110339_d56be61b58f2afb6.jpg

I've always liked Mavericks and Comets.  I've seen some modern interpretations of them that looked very tasteful.  But all the Shelby scoops and ornaments on this one looks cheesy and gaudy to me.