Sign in to follow this  
Mountaineerfan

Convertible windshield top chrome moulding removal?

I have a leak under the chrome trim pieces that run along the top of the window on my convertible.  It's not leaking at the window, it's coming under the trim and dripping through the screw holes of the sunvisor clip and at the sunvisor mounts.  I feel that the pieces were not reinstalled correctly by the PO and want to take them off, seal up what I can, and replace them without destroying them.  All of the instructions I have found say "carefully remove the trim."  OK, so how?  Pictures would be helpful!

Thanks!

It has been a while since I removed that rim, but here it goes. Remove the sun visors and the inside trim on top of windshield (the metal trim that runs between sun visors). there are holes on the window frame that are covered by that trim; remove the nuts attached to the studs on the outside chrome trim through those holes on the frame.

There is supposed to be a closed cell foam (about 1 inch wide, with adhesive backing on one side) attached to window frame that gets compressed by the chrome trim; looks like you either have to add that foam (because it is missing) or replace it (because it is worn). I would also add some strip calk around the studs of the outside chrome trim so the trim holes on window frame are covered when nuts are tightened to prevent water intrusion.

3 hours ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Thanks!  I wondered if there was some type of foam up there.  So removing the interior trim first is the key?

Yes, remove the interior trim. Also, besides the studs/nuts, there should be screws at the ends of out side stainless trim on A pillars located by or under the top of the weatherstrip installed on the A pillars.

Nothing to add but reinforcing what aslanefe has already said. Start from the inside and work your way up. Once you've removed the bottom plate at the top of the windshield, you can access the nuts holding the stainless top plate on.