jtbinvalrico

Greetings from Tampa....

I've got a 69 convertible. It started life as a 302 w/ 3 speed manual, and at some point got a 1969 351w and a C4 transmission. Most of the work, including a well-done 4 wheel disc brake conversion and that newer C4, was probably done in the 1990's. I picked it up out of the Chicago area last year. The wheels are definitely a throwback, but I like them. The car was born in the 60's but clearly grew up in the 70's - my favorite decade. She starts and drives every time, but leaves enough for me to wrench on and improve. Here's some pictures of the car and the shop.

4.thumb.jpg.b47bb3af688429ef1120d9ce8cec7c2c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.55e64234c1a394761b245e403d612eab.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.44bcd8526cc893868da2ca1f88cb4d61.jpg

I have not seen that lift before built into the floor.  Care to share details of how that came to be? 

Nice car!  That looks like the original comfort weave seat covers in excellent shape!

Nice looking 69, and welcome to the best looking car ever club. I have seen that type of recessed lift before at GarageJournal.com, and they are pretty cool. 

I'm really happy with the car. I originally had AC as a top to-do item, but we've found that our early evening drives down here in Florida are just fine without it. I suppose that if were to drive it some distance and with the top up I might see it differently. Like all things: I'll get to it eventually.....Right now I'm just squaring away some of the systems. The 351w dates to 1969. Nothing fancy, and likely a stock pick from another car. I enjoy learning the Holley carb and stock distributor. No plans to change that.....If anything is "pressing", I'd say it's the steering. I'll go through the whole thing, pump to valve body and the box. It drives fine. She'll go to 80+ easily, doesn't wander, and brakes in a straight line. But I suspect the PS is not optimal and there's a bit of play in the steering wheel.

I've been at Garage Journal for some years now. One fellow led the way on in-ground scissor lifts over there. Then the photobucket debacle cost everyone a lot of build details. In 2018 I recessed an Atlas FM9SL into my garage floor and detailed it in the thread linked below. The recessed scissor lift was a fit for me because of our suburban situation here: a three car garage, with one bay as my shop and the other bay reserved for the Mrs to park in. That left the middle bay. Stem wall construction and FEMA standards resulted in a 12 foot ceiling. I wanted a two-post lift, but the thought of the wife constantly banging her door on the post and the impact on my work space drove me to look for something that would disappear when not in use. That's how I came across the recessed scissor lifts - widely used in Asia and Europe in tight spaces.....It's very capable. 9000lbs capacity. Lifts to 6 foot clearance to work under. It lifts my F-150 no problem.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/atlas-fm9sl-scissor-lift-flush-mount-install.383717/

1.thumb.jpg.0d94dfe1b098d02f0049b0823aac4b95.jpg

2.thumb.JPG.39862ed795ff2361e6cd62b45aa2a0d0.JPG

For all things steering, get a hold of Dan at Chockostang.com. A rebuilt box from him is a night and day difference. I've picked up a couple of boxes from him and can't be more pleased. FYI, I've torn down three original boxes and found grease in none of them. 

On 4/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, RPM said:

For all things steering, get a hold of Dan at Chockostang.com. A rebuilt box from him is a night and day difference. I've picked up a couple of boxes from him and can't be more pleased. FYI, I've torn down three original boxes and found grease in none of them. 

+1 on Chock

7 hours ago, detompkins said:

Hello, great looking car. please let me know what color and or code # as I have been looking for a blue as yours.

I'd love to have the color code.....no idea what it is or what the color was called. I'm assuming the car was painted in the 1990's and was kept inside. The paint is in fantastic shape. It would have been great if someone had thrown the code in the glove box!

Greetings to Tampa, welcome to this corner of internet. If you want to know the paint code, take the car to a auto paint supplier so they can scan the color on the car. They should be able to give you the formula and may be also the code if it is catalog color.

10 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Greetings to Tampa, welcome to this corner of internet. If you want to know the paint code, take the car to a auto paint supplier so they can scan the color on the car. They should be able to give you the formula and may be also the code if it is catalog color.

That's a good idea.....I could get some touch-up paint mixed up and share the color as well.