rr03cobra

Opinion-install new motor or paint car first?

So I'm almost done with my rewire and I'm wondering what to do next.  The under carriage is done, re-wire is almost complete (with dakota digtial gauges) and no interior.  I have all the pieces but I'm waiting to install until its painted.  The last guy that worked on the car used under coating spray on the engine bay (without my approval) so I need to remove that and repaint.  Should I order a crate engine and repaint the engine bay (chassis black) first or do all the body work and paint the car first?  I'm worried about scratching the car so that's why I'm leaning toward repainting the engine bay then installing the engine first.  Just wondering what experiences and opinions you guys have.  Also, if anyone knows of a good engine builder in Colorado please let me know. TIA......Rich

I believe they are usually painted with everything removed. So in your case, before the engine. Others will chime in here, but I'd be interested to know if anyone prefers to have the doors, fenders, hood and trunk lid on the car for painting? I understand that for metallics they need to be positioned (vertically/horizontally) to match the body, and perhaps on the car?

15 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Does it matter?  At least in my case the front fenders and hood will be painted off the car so doing the engine bay first would not matter.

It may matter. I have heard on at least one car show that it is best to paint the fenders/hood on the car if using metallic paints, because there can be an odd miss-match in the appearance of the paint from panel to panel. Apparently the flake doesn't have the same general angle to the light and it flops differently. If its just a base coat with clear coat over it doesn't matter. I think I heard that from Shorty on Iron Resurrection. And another show said when painting fenders separately to hang them on the stands as they are on the car with the top of the fender up, and the side vertical. I have no practical experience with this ..yet.

Some metallic in my paint. Removed old engine, painted engine bay/chassis and installed the new engine. Then we painted the car with fenders, doors and hood installed. Trunk was not installed, but you can't tell any difference. 

I will say the edges of the doors and fenders were really hard to get the coverage they needed. I went back and touched them up after.

Paint.jpg

Mine is going to paint with the entire power train in, dash out, and doors, fenders, and hood off.  My body guy will then install all the body panel and line them up, then shoot the clear coat.  after that, install weather stripping, and back to me .   My engine compartment and undercarriage are already painted.

Also, if you do this, make sure you run the engine and test for leaks.  All I will do when I get the car back is bolt on trim, bumpers, lights, windows etc.

No matter how careful you are, it is too easy to scratch/dent/scrape new paint when trying to install the engine. Plus the hood has to be off.

IMG_4229.jpg