Don't know if it was standard on 69 vert, my 69 Grande did not have it. It should be installed inside the cutout on inner shell of trunk lid by the trunk latch and recessed between inner and outer shells of the trunk lid.

It was an option, my vert has one. I'll see if I can scrounge up my pictures. Like Ridge and Aslanefe said, it ran over the left wheel well, up along the hinge, through the deck lid where it's attached by an L-bracket near the trunk latch.

[edit] Added some pics

TRUNKLITE1.thumb.JPG.705358a2f7d7468b95e0ee72faa542ef.JPG

TRUNKLITE3.thumb.JPG.6d66aa662b9a6d7935fb580c07aabc49.JPG

1 hour ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Thanks, everyone!  This wasn't an option that came with my car, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Good idea, otherwise you have to run a wire from  under the dash (where the connector for power to the trunk light is) to the trunk.

Pictured is my Mach 1 trunk lid.  The trunk light was also an option for my car but not ordered.  The harness connection was provided but never used. Yet there seems to be multiple locations available for a trunk light?  The one discussed here is near the trunk latch.  What were the other two cut outs for?  Just curious, Brian

69 Trunk Light Location b.JPG

7 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Pictured is my Mach 1 trunk lid.  The trunk light was also an option for my car but not ordered.  The harness connection was provided but never used. Yet there seems to be multiple locations available for a trunk light?  The one discussed here is near the trunk latch.  What were the other two cut outs for?  Just curious, Brian

69 Trunk Light Location b.JPG

Brian I think that I have seen near the hinge in your photo is where the wire goes through, there is a plastic clip that is attached to the small hole that holds the wire and a thin grommet ring that goes around the large hole to prevent the wire going through large hole from being cut then wire goes through lid to hole near latch and the light bracket is held in place there with a screw. As in photos of 69RavenConv above.

14 hours ago, v8ford70 said:

Brian I think that I have seen near the hinge in your photo is where the wire goes through, there is a plastic clip that is attached to the small hole that holds the wire and a thin grommet ring that goes around the large hole to prevent the wire going through large hole from being cut then wire goes through lid to hole near latch and the light bracket is held in place there with a screw. As in photos of 69RavenConv above.

Correct on all counts. You can see in my bottom photo how the wire is deformed from the clip that holds it in place (clip has been removed in the photo). I also think Brian is correct in that the mate to the red bullet connector is present in all harnesses, whether the lamp was installed or not. If so, it would be laying atop the wheel well where the harness emerges in the trunk. 

3 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

Correct on all counts. You can see in my bottom photo how the wire is deformed from the clip that holds it in place (clip has been removed in the photo). I also think Brian is correct in that the mate to the red bullet connector is present in all harnesses, whether the lamp was installed or not. If so, it would be laying atop the wheel well where the harness emerges in the trunk. 

Interesting!  I need to inspect my wire harness....

1 hour ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Interesting!  I need to inspect my wire harness....

My 69 Grande did not have the wire and red bullet connector in the harness at the trunk. Had to run a wire from the bullet connector that is under the dash on driver side.

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Is that turned on by a mercury switch someplace in the harness? It doesn't appear to be in the bulb socket.

I put a D3 trunk light, it has the mercury switch built into the socket.

6 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Is that turned on by a mercury switch someplace in the harness? It doesn't appear to be in the bulb socket.

The mercury switch is built into the socket.

3 hours ago, aslanefe said:

My 69 Grande did not have the wire and red bullet connector in the harness at the trunk. Had to run a wire from the bullet connector that is under the dash on driver side.

I guess I was wrong, it's not in every harness. :) 

2 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

The mercury switch is built into the socket.

I guess I was wrong, it's not in every harness. :) 

And it isn't found in any standard 70 harness that I am aware of; there's no connector for it in the underdash harness.  I believe you had to order a convenience package or something similar to get that line.

29 minutes ago, Midlife said:

And it isn't found in any standard 70 harness that I am aware of; there's no connector for it in the underdash harness.  I believe you had to order a convenience package or something similar to get that line.

Sounds right, I have the convenience group in my car. For whatever reason, I thought all '69's had the 12V wire to the trunk but it appears I was mistaken. First time that's ever happened. :)

The 70 convertible i just finished had both wire connectors for the trunk light and the sail panel lights( fastback) above the drivers side wheel well sticking out of the taillight harness. One was hot all the time for a mercury switchin the trunk lid and the other was hot only when the door was opened. I plugged into the sail pillar wire to run 2 small led lights in the side panels to light up the entry as there are no lights back there  worked well. This car did not come with a convenience group. Ill post a pic.

John