Sign in to follow this  
Brian Conway

Fuel line clip?

Picture is of the fuel line very near the sending unit and where it changes from a hard line to a soft line.  The red stuff is showing the very small screw hole in the gas tank support edge.  I am guessing there should be some sort of attachment clip there?   Second picture shows the OE location a little better.  Thanks, Brian

69 Fuel Line at Tank 6.JPG

69 Fuel Line at Tank 2.JPG

46 minutes ago, Brian Conway said:

The original is spot welded.  A stealthy removal would be difficult.  A frame rail clip might be a solution. Brian

Fuel line Clip.jpg

Brian, due to the bend at the edges of the metal around the floor where tank sits, that clip may not work unless you cut the bent edge of the floor off. Or you could cut that clip and tack weld it to floor around the edges of the clip.

1 hour ago, Brian Conway said:

I can see the problem.  I may just do what the previous owner (s) did.  Brian

Brian, I got one good , one bad news for you.

The good one; looked at the 1970 Grande I am restoring, the clip is NOT spot welded. It has an expanded piece at the back which goes in the hole on trunk floor, installed by pushing it in to the hole. Put a putty knife between the left over piece of the clip and trunk floor and pry (2 knifes on opposite sides might work better, I squeezed the end and pushed it as there was no gas tank in the way). You will see I I tried to describe.

Bad news, don't know if it is reproduced. Might be able to find one on a parts car.

1 hour ago, Brian Conway said:

Good news; that just might work.  Bad news; there are no parts cars in San Diego.  Brian

Most folks that go efi change the tank and run new fuel lines. Might ask those if they are willing to supply you the bracket they do not use any more.

1 hour ago, stangs-R-me said:

Like many things on '70 that are different than '69, it might just be a BETTER designed clip than what was used in '69.

Doug

It may be an assembly plant thing as the clip I posted a photo is from a 70 (not an early 70 as it has bolted door glass) which not like the one sold by NPD.

No I have not removed anything.  In the photo I posted above, and again below, one can see a tooth pick I placed in the hole where the original clip was installed.  So there is an existing hole for this type of push in bracket.  The hole diameter is another question. Thanks for the continued interest. Brian

69 Fuel Line at Tank Cross Member.JPG

Turns out the clip that aslanefe posted may in fact be the original style clip for 69.  After receiving a couple original 69/70 clips from Scott at West Coast Cougars I removed the remnant from my car.  Appear to be a match ?  Brian

69 Clip 1.JPG

69 Clip 3.JPG