dmdsprite

Need help with measurement

There's a guy on eBay who makes empty rally paks for 65-66...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Low-Profile-Rally-Pac-for-1965-1966-Mustang-/184865262755?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

He says he can make for a 70 (I assume 69 is the same) if he has measurements of the steering column about 2 inches from / in front of the instrument cluster.  My car is with the mechanic...i was hoping someone could take the measurement for me. 

1969 and 1970 columns are not the same. Are you looking for 1970 column diameter? If you are looking for 1970, it has a plastic collar on the column, so you would need the diameter of the collar, not the steering column.

The way that collar is installed, I am not sure if it will hold a rally pack and not twist around with the top heavy weight. I recommend you to look at your car on how that collar is mounted/installed and if it will twist or not before you buy and install it. 

I don't think there is room on the collar for the rally pac on the '70, as it has the ignition switch on the column, and the emergency flasher button.  Also, that collar rotates.  It is tied to the steering column tube, and was used for column shifted cars.  Make sure you lock that in somehow if you mount the rally pac there.   I cut the tab off of my column tube.  See "before" pic.

IMG_1251.JPG

3 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

I don't think there is room on the collar for the rally pac on the '70, as it has the ignition switch on the column, and the emergency flasher button.  Also, that collar rotates.  It is tied to the steering column tube, and was used for column shifted cars.  Make sure you lock that in somehow if you mount the rally pac there.   I cut the tab off of my column tube.  See "before" pic.

IMG_1251.JPG

Vic, the trans lock is a tube inside the column, outside tube of the steering column does not rotate. The metal collar that is closest to the key is the one that is attached to trans lock.There is a plastic collar that goes over the steering column that covers the ignition switch (the switch itself, not the keyed part), the rod that goes to ignition switch etc between the gage cluster and the trans lock collar.

11 minutes ago, dmdsprite said:

Gotcha. Thanks. Back to the drawing board. Trying to find a good option to add a tach.  I don't like a hood tach for this car, and don't feel like spending another 800 for a full gauge cluster. 

The gage pod is an option, but you have to look at if your plastic collar is secure enough and won't rotate. There is a special clip that secures that plastic collar, if it is not missing and not broken, you should be fine with installing the pod on the plastic collar. But if that clip is broken or missing (which is often the case) the collar will rotate and pod will not stay at the same spot when the car bounces around.

4 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Vic, FYI, the transmission lock interfaces with the ignition tumbler also. If you cut the tab, it means the collar tied to it is free to rotate. This means while you are steering, it will rotate and when you stop and try to remove the key from ignition, the key will not fully turn back and you will not be able to remove the key. You have to twist the trans lock collar, get it to right spot to be able to fully turn the key and remove it. You MUST secure the trans lock collar at the right spot and prevent it from turning if you do not want to encounter "key won't turn all the way to release" situation; if you do not secure the collar, you have to twist it to right spot any time you can't turn the key and remove it. I taped the collar with cloth tape to the non-moving collar that the tumbler is on on a 1970 I put C6 which did not have trans lock lever.

Yes, you’re both right, now as I recall this disassembly experience with the steering column and the locking mechanism

When I get home I’m gonna have to look at my extra one, I actually have a few laying around.

I do remember securing the collar so would not rotate I don’t remember how I did that

The bottom of my steering column is cut, and it actually has a bearing installed in there, because I used a Borgeson Steering set up.   I think I secured the whole thing from rotating by staking it at the bottom, I’ll have to go back and look….