Sign in to follow this  
Casgar

Trans am fender flares

Since my rear fender lips have rusted and needs replacing and I have an extra pair of front fenders I thought that maybe I should try to flare them abit, but I'd like it to look like they could have come that way from the factory. If they turn out bad nothing is lost and I get another chance to decide what I want after I've replaced the rear lip. If they turn out good I can just replicate it again and just keep the extra front fenders as they are.

The mild flare that some Trans Am cars have look mean! Anyone have any information on how they were made? Dolly and hammer?

Example of the look I'm after: https://silodrome.com/ford-mustang-boss-302-trans-am/

Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Trans-Am-12.jpg

It’s not easy. No one makes them for the rear. It’s English-wheel, hammer and sandbag of flat sheet metal custom work, but it can be done of course. 
The front fenders were much easier: give Anvil your credit card number and they’ll send two fenders with a 1-1/2” bigger flare than stock. 
I run 315s out back now without mini tubs and 265s up front without rubbing. 

332E835A-F798-42D6-BFA1-C69A85B24978.jpeg

4E735CF1-83D4-49DB-9C3E-B69241404B59.jpeg

86FF2F33-909D-4F94-ADE0-3140F4976E9E.jpeg

3A3899B3-7852-4BAC-B4BF-F35031429F7F.jpeg

901D3A8C-CF1A-450E-BCA1-89443CAE6D1D.jpeg

On 4/9/2022 at 2:50 AM, gsxrken said:

It’s not easy. No one makes them for the rear. It’s English-wheel, hammer and sandbag of flat sheet metal custom work, but it can be done of course. 
The front fenders were much easier: give Anvil your credit card number and they’ll send two fenders with a 1-1/2” bigger flare than stock. 
I run 315s out back now without mini tubs and 265s up front without rubbing.

As nice as it would be to order some of those front fenders, I feel like the money could be placed better at the moment. Will keep them in mind though.

Regarding your rear flares, you say you haven't mini tubbed the car. What did you do about the outer wheel well? Is the fender lip similar to stock?

On 4/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Casgar said:

Regarding your rear flares, you say you haven't mini tubbed the car. What did you do about the outer wheel well? Is the fender lip similar to stock?

No mini tub. I offset the larger rim and tire out rather than in to utilize the new real estate. 
Inside it’s sort of like that 1970 link Grabber posted. A rolled piece of sheet metal welded to the wheelhouse and brought out to close the new gap and to meet the lip of the flare. Now that I think of it, the underside of some of the flare’s metal may not have been able to be painted after the wheelhouse piece was welded on and the upper part of the flare was hidden. Oh well. Been 10 years so far so good. 
It’s not a pinch weld sort of flange like Ford used to weld together the outer wheelhouse and quarter panel.  

on edit- to be clear I didn’t perform the work myself. I used a shop in Maine (now closed).

Edited by gsxrken