EastYorkStang

Heater core removal

6 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

What is involved in removing the heater / AC box assembly under the dash on my 1970?

Core was leaking years ago so I unhooked it. Thinking I will just remove the whole assembly and be done with it.

I loosened the lower dash but not completely removed it. Removed the dash pad, glove box and clock panel. Loosened the AC box and split it in place and replaced the heater core. Did this to not remove AC lines as it was charged. Would be easier if you removed the box though.

3 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I loosened the lower dash but not completely removed it. Removed the dash pad, glove box and clock panel. Loosened the AC box and split it in place and replaced the heater core. Did this to not remove AC lines as it was charged. Would be easier if you removed the box though.

A video or pics of this would be cool. But who has time or extra hands when doing the work. 

5 hours ago, RPM said:

A video or pics of this would be cool. But who has time or extra hands when doing the work. 

And to position/aim a camera while you are upside down on your head working blind by feel with your fingers in a tight area. If you had 4 arms, may be. Only thing that helped was I had the AC box from my Cougar on the bench as reference to figure out what/how to do. If AC is not charged or get it evacuated and remove the whole box. Worst thing was, I had rebuilt the box a few months ago; had tested the heater core that was in there but it gave up when I reved past 5500 rpm later on.

53 minutes ago, Brian Conway said:

I think pointing out the single speed nut at the center of the engine side firewall probably will save some grief.  Brian

There is a speed nut at 9:28 in the WCCC video. I don't remember anything in the middle, but its been a while.

4 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

I think pointing out the single speed nut at the center of the engine side firewall probably will save some grief.  Brian

Maybe one of these two nuts Brian? The top nut is for the blower motor, and the lower is for the heater/ac box. 

Screenshot_20220317-090130_Gallery.jpg.b4ce51345147e5ea1be20bde58dc4e0d.jpg

894611076_69HeaterBoxSpeedNut.thumb.JPG.a5c2a6af6496f52cef81c78a976bf3ce.JPG      I only mention it because I remember a fella a while back over looked it and was having a time getting the box to move. I did see it in the video and am posting a pic of the one on my no ac car.  Not dead center but close enough.  Brian