stangs-R-me

Alloy Metal Prod 1969 Rear (taillamp) Wiring Harness ...

My original front (headlight feed) harness was in pretty bad shape, so I bought & installed a new harness made by Alloy Metal Products about 12 years ago.   All other under hood wiring is new Alloy Metal harnesses as well including front & rear Hood Scoop wiring harnesses, engine feed, & alternator.   Love the OEM Look and Fit (if not exact copies).    When I had my dash apart at the same time, I gave my factory Tach Dash harness some attention too.    

Only old wiring left is the rear taillamp harness and it is pretty tired looking in the trunk area, braided loom sleaving is shot (now wrapped in electrical tape by me) and have been wanting to replace it as well.   

Only thing that has held me back to never pulling the trigger is the new harness does not include the taillamp sockets.   

My originals sockets are in OK shape; but have paint all over them from a paint job before I owned the car so they would need to be cleaned up before re-use.   They also have rubber boots which are crimped into the sockets, so I'm wondering how easy it is to swap onto the new harness without it looking butchered.   Really don't want to "splice" in the old taillamp pigtails to this new harness.   

Anyone buy this Alloy Metal Products rear taillight harness and successfully swap the sockets so you can't tell it was ever done ??   

Randy / Midlife do you have any tips ??

Thanks,

Doug  

No tips.  I'm surprised it doesn't come with sockets.  Rear lamp sockets are a bitch due to corrosion.  I've found a dremel tool in a standard drill bit does wonders for cleaning up the inside of the socket, as well as re-crimping the ground leads.  There's no way to hide the splices, whatever you do...

I hate tail-light harnesses for refurbishment for this very reason.  Plus, 69/70 have at least 3 different variants of fuel line configurations.

Thanks for the reply Randy ... I was dreading that your answer / solution was not going to be simple !!

On NPD's site, there is a cheaper version 14405-5A from "Mustang America" that states ... WIRING HARNESS, Taillight, repro, good repro, reuse Taillight sockets from old harness.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/wiring-harness-taillight/102047/202880?year=1969

The two harnesses from Alloy Metal 14405-5CA & 5CB don't say this but from the pictures I don't see the sockets and looks like you can see the wires with bare bulb terminals in the upper right of the CA picture.   I have the Convenience Group, so of course I need the more $$ one.

14405-5CA https://www.npdlink.com/product/wiring-harness-taillight/145582/202880?year=1969

14405-5CB https://www.npdlink.com/product/wiring-harness-taillight/145583/202880?year=1969

Alloy Metal Products does not have a web site, but found a link to their address & phone # ... however I'm thinking they don't was end users calling or bothering them.   

I'm going to post the question on VMF as Rick aka 69bossnine from NPD would likely chime in with the answer.   

And if the answer is "no sockets", then maybe Rick or someone else in their much larger member pool will have some suggestions. 

Thanks,

Doug  

Just got confirmation from Rick at NPD on VMF ... both the 14405-5CA 14405-CB Alloy Metal Harnesses are COMPLETE with the taillight sockets.

Link to the thread I posted over there:

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/npd-1969-mustang-taillight-wiring-harness.1200032/#post-10622786

Picture of a kit from stock showing the sockets & boots in place just like OEM.

Doug

Got the harness from NPD a few weeks ago and it looks great, bulb sockets and all.

Basically a question for MIDLIFE, but anyone can chime in ...

My car originally did NOT have the Convenience Group (trunk light), but I took all the wiring & parts from a parts car and added it to my car in the 80's.

On this new Alloy Metal 14405-CB (Convenience Group) harness, the Fuel Level Sending wire exits the braided looming with the trunk light wire & dome light wire.   On my original harness, it exists the looming alone 16" further down about even with the trunk floor.    Looking at the 1969 Electrical Assembly Manual, the Fuel Sending Wire departs from the main harness at the trunk floor in all the diagram variations, so it seems strange that it comes out of the looming 16" earlier on this new harness.   So the QUESTION IS ... is this an Wiring Assembly Error or is this correct ?? 

Also, this NEW harness came with the Fuel Sender FM bullet plug and the Dual Exhaust Extension Lead to exit the RH side drop off out to the sender.   On my factory Single Exhaust car & harness, there is no separate extension lead to the fuel sender, the wire just continues and exits out the center of the trunk to the sender.

This is also a bonus for me, as my car has had the factory correct crossover muffler dual exhaust on it since the late 80's and until recently, I had no idea they re-routed the fuel level sending wire out the RH drop off on dual exhaust cars.

You can buy this special Dual Exhaust Extension wire from a few places ... Dead Nuts On is one for $30.00, but no need to as it comes with this harness !!

So technically there were originally 4 different OEM rear harnesses:

Single Ex w/o Conv Grp

Single Ex w/ Conv Grp

Dual Ex w/o Conv Grp

Dual Ex w/ Conv Grp

Doug

Trunk Wiring.JPG

Fuel-Sender Wiring Single-Ex.JPG

Fuel-Sender Wiring Dual-Ex.JPG

My experience is that the fuel line does exit the wire loom well beyond the courtesy light wire break-out.  AMP may have screwed up, but functionally, it will work just fine.

The 69/70 tails are a mess when it comes to variants of the fuel sending line.  One has a bullet plug with extension, another has no bullet plug, and a third has a shorter section of the wire past the grommet to the 90* connector.  The first two exit the trunk at the RH drop-off panel; the shorter version uses a hole immediately behind the tank and generally centered. 

With all these variants, I almost refuse to sell a tail outright without knowing what the owner actually has. 

I figured the fuel sender lead coming out 16" too soon was an Alloy Metal goof up ... could also be that this is just how they do them and I don't feel like making it an issue with NPD (or AMP).

May wrap this single fuel sender wire in black electrical tape the 16" to protect it / hide it and use a couple of pieces of friction tape to hold it to and behind the harness in a couple spots along the way.

Thanks for the feedback !!

Doug         

13 hours ago, rockhouse66 said:

Originally the wire came out of the loom here;

DSC08435.JPG

As I stated in my post on 04/11, but not seen in my pic ...

On my original harness, it exists the looming alone 16" further down about even with the trunk floor.    Looking at the 1969 Electrical Assembly Manual, the Fuel Sending Wire departs from the main harness at the trunk floor in all the diagram variations.

So yes, this is what both me and Randy believe to be normal ... thanks for adding this picture of what appears to be an untouched "as factory installed" image.     

Doug