staffy

Steering column issue ?

Hi All,

I just putting my car back together post it’s resto.

I have taken off the power steering and put it to a manual box and changed the pitman arm, drag link etc Kept the original column.

having out it back together it looks like the internal rotating part of the column is ‘“catching’” the Lowe part of the fixed outer column as it exists the sleeve near to the coupler. 

This does not seem right to me, am I right to think this and what do you guys think I should do ?

(apologies for my tech terms here, not sure I’ve  got them  all OK (I'm from the U.K. !)

Chris 

3E809236-E4AC-4164-92FE-F21D743040B3.jpeg

E6DD5828-83D7-44D9-A4B2-A49FEC4733D1.jpeg

105D3F24-E323-465D-9CDD-42D9AD42D32A.jpeg

A65A7C77-133E-4DC0-B0A6-832575241BD8.jpeg

"(apologies for my tech terms here, not sure I’ve  got them  all OK (I'm from the U.K. !)"

We won't hold that against you :)

you can center the lower housing by moving the column in the cabin where it mounts to the cowl and lower dash. It's easiest done with two people. 

Screenshot_20220311-233409_Drive.thumb.jpg.53c3a53faa95758dd605e4f3888a111b.jpg

14 hours ago, RPM said:

"(apologies for my tech terms here, not sure I’ve  got them  all OK (I'm from the U.K. !)"

We won't hold that against you :)

you can center the lower housing by moving the column in the cabin where it mounts to the cowl and lower dash. It's easiest done with two people. 

Screenshot_20220311-233409_Drive.thumb.jpg.53c3a53faa95758dd605e4f3888a111b.jpg

RPM ,

thanks, I’ll try that 

chrus 

All the seals (2 foam rings & a foam plug for the end of the shaft) and the brittle plastic bushing for the bottom of the column are available here ...

https://www.deadnutson.com/

When I rebuilt my column in 2011 there was no evidence of any of these seals ... so I got all the seals from them however the plastic bushing thing was not yet being reproduced.   Mine was trashed, so I made something to serve the same purpose out of a piece of plumbing PVC.

My shaft sagged and rubbed on the bottom tube like yours before the rebuild ... having all new seals will center everything in the lower part of the column.   Then you can adjust it to line up with the steering box.

Shopping on "dead nuts on" will make you want to buy all sorts of stuff you had no idea was available new.   I just bought $93 worth of stuff over the weekend that was not on their site back in 2011 !!

There are also a few threads on THIS site detailing rebuilding a '69 column and I think I posted some info in one of them back in 2011.

Doug

8 hours ago, jmlay said:

The gentleman that owns and runs the https://428cobrajet.org, Scott Hollenbeck, is the person whom has reproduced the foam pieces, plastic insert and many other parts.:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/

I stand corrected !!   

YES ... it was Scott at Muscle Car Research that I bought these parts from back in 2011.   Also bought the seal kit for the Disc Brake Distribution Block that you could not find anywhere else back then either which was also prior to the whole distribution block & proportioning valve being reproduced.     

And until this past weekend, I had never bought anything from Jack at Dead Nuts On, just drooled at all the mostly 1969 specific oddball parts he offers (many of which are made by MCR).    And when scrolling through all the current parts I saw the Steering Column Seals & Retainer so just got confused.    Not sure if Jack had even started his web site yet back in 2011, so thanks again for catching my error.

Doug