BobW70Mach1

Adding A/C to non-A/C 1970 Mach 1

I bought an A/C kit from CJ pony parts to add A/C to my 1970 Mach 1. Do I need to have an lower A/C Mach 1 Dash to make it work? Or can I simply cut the holes in the dash for the vents?  I bought an A/C upper dash pad, so I am good there.      https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-auto-air-perfect-fit-elite-air-conditioning-system-r-134a-1969-1970/p/CAA20185/

You can cut holes in the lower dash. That’s the only difference in an AC and Non AC dash. I did it to mine and it came out great. Make sure you do a lot of measuring before you cut. I would assume your kit would have came with a template to use to cut the holes for the vents that came with it. 

4 hours ago, BobW70Mach1 said:

I bought an A/C kit from CJ pony parts to add A/C to my 1970 Mach 1. Do I need to have an lower A/C Mach 1 Dash to make it work? Or can I simply cut the holes in the dash for the vents?  I bought an A/C upper dash pad, so I am good there.      https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-auto-air-perfect-fit-elite-air-conditioning-system-r-134a-1969-1970/p/CAA20185/

As far as I know, with that kit you have to cut the holes on lower dash and the kit should have a template for the holes. You do not need to buy a lower dash. And that kit requires you to cut a non ac dash pad to install the dash went; if you bought an ac dash, I believe the went will be small for the opening and you have to make a panel to fill the gap between the went and opening on the dash.

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

I thought the heater box is quite different from non-AC to AC...

Yes, boxes are quite different. But according to the link he provided, he bought a kit that comes with an aftermarket box that is installed in place of the factory box.

I'm doing the same to my 69. Someone here posted a cutout template for those with skills and brass balls. I bought an AC lower dash for $100 to ease the pain of this project. 

On 3/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, aslanefe said:

As far as I know, with that kit you have to cut the holes on lower dash and the kit should have a template for the holes. You do not need to buy a lower dash. And that kit requires you to cut a non ac dash pad to install the dash went; if you bought an ac dash, I believe the went will be small for the opening and you have to make a panel to fill the gap between the went and opening on the dash.

Good timing on my question and your advice.  Coincidently, a local guy was selling a pristine center A/C vent so I ran out and bought it from him last night.  Hopefully, now I won’t have to cut or modify or put filler panels in my new dash.

7F50F108-8661-470A-A946-F46C0AFA678B.jpeg

A508A643-4C51-420C-A37E-CE3D9289B66C.jpeg

Depending on your classic auto air kit, that center vent may not work with the duct work that came with kit. I went with vintage air but used all original vents, lower dash and center pad. They sell adapters that fit directly onto the original vents and hook up to the duct work. 

10 hours ago, BobW70Mach1 said:

Coincidently, a local guy was selling a pristine center A/C vent so I ran out and bought it from him last night.  

I just picked one up last week in similar shape for $100. What did you have to give for yours?