Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

1-wire alt conversion: what to do with external voltage regulator?

Just curious what you guys have done with the old voltage regulator and wiring harness, after converting to a 1-wire alternator.

Seems like butchery to hack up the harness to remove it all :) so trying to gather some opinions.  Do you just leave the regulator in there, with now-unused wires to the regulator just not connected to anything?   Or hack hack hack to eliminate it entirely?

9 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I was thinking about this as well. I’m loving the 1 wire alternator but have just wrapped up the harness and tucked it out of site just in case . 

I have tucked mine also.  The only reason I have not cut mine out is I’m afraid to cut the wrong wire or something.  I’m no electrical expert and don’t want to take a chance on screwing something up.  Does any one have a diagram of step by step in what wires to cut and what can be removed?

On 3/7/2022 at 11:56 AM, rwcstang said:

did the same, I removed mine to give a cleaner look.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:00 AM, EastYorkStang said:

Took it out altogether. 

How did you guys do it?  Any pictures of what you cut?

10 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I was thinking about this as well. I’m loving the 1 wire alternator but have just wrapped up the harness and tucked it out of site just in case . 

I also tucked and wrapped the unused wires. Who knows how long I'll run the one wire, and wanted to be able to use a Ford alternator later on. 

Any engine bay pics without the regulator?  Since it's all neat and tidy now, must be able to show it off :)

I can't imagine why I'd ever want to go back to a stock external voltage regulator, but I'm going to attempt minimal cutting and then tuck/zipstrap the old harness underneath the battery tray or rad core support.

Also, I don't quite understand the point of wire #915 in CVF Racing's 1-wire alternator instructions.  I would have thought it was either 915, or 916 going to the fuse block (ie. don't need a source from both the alternator terminal AND the fuse post).  Not sure if anyone has done it this way, seems redundant.

image.png.f9f59be3c3fdd6b8142b2c28fa666aa6.png