Anyone interested in starting a 3D printing thread?  I've got a decent printer at home, and since I got it I have taught myself some CAD.  I think it would be nice to have a library of parts for the mustang, and those of us that can make them, can print stuff in our spare time, and provide to other users.  I recently wanted a box to contain a fuel-gauge calibration device, and I created this in about an hours worth of CAD and then some longer hours printing:

1083074464_MetermatchboxforPennyv2.thumb.png.4cf0f7535034603823a66b87aa55d1f9.png

It's not perfect, but it allowed me to use an existing bolt to hold down the device, and store the wires/connections in the trunk.  Here it is installed:

IMG_4029.jpeg.b284cf71551a3c5985152180c2863ec1.jpeg

It seems to me there is a need for 3D printing stuff for ourselves, and as we design the parts we can perhaps keep a library of them somewhere, and if people need one or several, those of us with time and printers can help out.

What do you all think?

Jay

7 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

We had a printer at work about 20 years ago. I don't recall the printer brand. Our Cad program was Solidworks. Many of the programs are subscription only now and crazy expensive. What do you have?

I've got a hobbyist license for Autodesk Fusion360.  Its fantastic.  Cross-platform (I'm using it on a Mac) and really quite intuitive considering its complexity.  I can't sell any of my work from it based on the license, but I don't need to really.  I do enjoy designing things in it though.  I done enough now I'm "dangerous".  LOL.  I think they want it to be a solid works competitor, but I don't think it's achieved that goal yet - although it's not been out all that long.  I can't say enough good about it.

Edited by JayEstes
typo

3 hours ago, RogerC said:

I use NX12 at work but have an old version of Solidworks at home.

Some Solidworks stuff

Those are awesome!  Did you do that seat from scratch?  The Wheel looks fantastic,  I want to design my own console for the car, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the complex geometry of the humps/seat and dash into the model to build on...

1 hour ago, JayEstes said:

I can't see any of my work from it based on the license, but I don't need to really. 

Jay, what do you mean that you can't "see any of my work"? So, it's free for the hobbyist or $500/yr full boat, and probably only a subscription- after a year it goes bye, bye.

Solidworks appears to be $99/yr for the hobbyist.  Their standard (low end) license is now about 4k and 1.4k/yr for maintenance (updates). I didn't check to see if that is an actual copy you can use forever, or if its really a subscription. I sure don't use it enough to pay that much.

Fun stuff!

8 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Jay, what do you mean that you can't "see any of my work"? So, it's free for the hobbyist or $500/yr full boat, and probably only a subscription- after a year it goes bye, bye.

Solidworks appears to be $99/yr for the hobbyist.  Their standard (low end) license is now about 4k and 1.4k/yr for maintenance (updates). I didn't check to see if that is an actual copy you can use forever, or if its really a subscription. I sure don't use it enough to pay that much.

Fun stuff!

Sorry I meant "I can't sell any of my work".  I'll go edit the post...

Edited by JayEstes
typo

The seat is based on an existing design I found some basic dimensions for then created a model.

The badge I created in SWX from scratch. The Ford emblem is created using an available text font I had previously downloaded then doing an extruded cut like the 351 & cleveland. I have not had any made as of yet.

This is the type of things I design at work. I created this image for the manual for this container. This is a model.

00220500000 Scenery Pic.jpg

5 hours ago, JayEstes said:

Those are awesome!  Did you do that seat from scratch?  The Wheel looks fantastic,  I want to design my own console for the car, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the complex geometry of the humps/seat and dash into the model to build on...

Thanks for the compliments. Sometimes you have to just play with the model to get the geometry you're looking for. I've started modeling the 62 mustang concept car and have walked away from it for now. Figuring out how to get the correct geometry can be a challenge. One thing I wished existed is some kind of translator between graphics software and cad software. They work so differently. I've tried a pseudo converter, it didn't work very well.

A shipping container for a gas turbine engine for electric power generation. That one is actually just for the core engine. size is approx 10' H x 9' W x 16' L give or take.

Back to the OT, more parts that could be 3D printed. Fuel cap & flange.

fill flange & cap.jpg

On 3/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, RogerC said:

A shipping container for a gas turbine engine for electric power generation. That one is actually just for the core engine. size is approx 10' H x 9' W x 16' L give or take.

Back to the OT, more parts that could be 3D printed. Fuel cap & flange.

fill flange & cap.jpg

Love the idea, but I’ve never printed anything that I would want to show on the outside of the car.

There was a separate thread for window roller solutions that concluded with a 3D print solution.  http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/146028-69-conv-quarter-window-frame-bushing-roller/

That thread was what made me think to start this one.  If folks have parts they think would be good to print, post it here.  I’m happy to see if i can help.  I also have a printer and if someone has a model and wants parts printed I’d be happy to give it a try.

10 hours ago, JayEstes said:

There was a separate thread for window roller solutions that concluded with a 3D print solution.  http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/146028-69-conv-quarter-window-frame-bushing-roller/

That thread was what made me think to start this one.  If folks have parts they think would be good to print, post it here.  I’m happy to see if i can help.  I also have a printer and if someone has a model and wants parts printed I’d be happy to give it a try.

Jay, fyi, before you print something, you need to think about the environment the parts is going to be used also. Like heat, UV, wear etc and choose the correct flament kind. Also on items with small details or critical dimensions, you need to create the 3D with your printers specs/capabilities etc, print a sample, measure and modify the model most of the time. So if I gave you the models I created/printed parts with, the part you printed from that on your printer may not work. For example the ears/tabs of the window roller, I had to modify a few times to get the ears/tabs to have the spring action when printed. I also made the rubber piece that is part of the horn switch of standard 70 steering wheel from flexible flament and had to modify the model 4-5 times to have my printer print a functioning piece.

12 hours ago, JayEstes said:

One disadvantage of doing tank parts in plastic is danger of breakage in case of collision.  I think ductile steel with rubber connections is going to behave much better in that case.

Printed ABS, PLA etc are not sealed; they are porous. We printed some AC ducts for aircraft at work and have to paint them afterwards to seal, otherwise they leaked. I think printed metal is sealed but it is way expensive.

9 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Printed ABS, PLA etc are not sealed; they are porous. We printed some AC ducts for aircraft at work and have to paint them afterwards to seal, otherwise they leaked. I think printed metal is sealed but it is way expensive.

Yes, agree, I think my point was a fuel neck is not.a great place for a printed part.  I understand the stuff your talking about and would just use simple original parts because they are likely safer.