Sign in to follow this  
69Mach1 M code

Lower cowl flange

I need to do some cleaning up in the area where the round flange extends upward from the lower cowl (inlet for heater box). The original sealant that was spread around the flange and to the far right side edge of the cowl is flaking off, and the rust is deep but not through the entire thickness.

I am planning on removing the flange so I can reach in from the passenger footwell. It appears that the flange has a body caulking type sealer between it and the lower cowl. Was there any mechanical means of securing the two together such as a spot weld? I don't see anything except the sealer from underneath but wanted to check with those that have had a better view after removing the top cowl panel (which I don't want to do since the windshield will remain installed). 

Don't have a pic of the passenger side, but you can see where the driver's side lower cowl is supposed to be joined to the lower A pillar panel flange. These were spotwelded in place and can be fun to get at without major surgery. If the hat (passenger side) is leaking and there is a bunch of corrosion, you might need to access the area from the top as well. I have seen some people cut the upper cowl off above the hat, repair the area, then weld the upper portion back in place. I completely replaced mine as there was nothing left of it; thanks mice!

Cowl.thumb.jpg.4af15c0f17df27d9beca5ee6e5c0df29.jpg