rwcstang

Direct Ignition system conversion - Holley

Wondering if anyone has done a DIS swap on their Carb Application. 

Read that its both compatible with EFI/Carb, its almost like a MSD 6AL ignition box. Most modern motors have this setup as its the norm, but wondering if this would be a good upgrade for our carb'd push rod motors.

any thoughts? 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-601533?addwishlistsku=MSD-601533

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/adding_modern_coil-per-cylinder_ignition_to_a_vintage_engine/

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

The old school ignition system works fine when cared for. As long as the advance curve and timing are adjusted for your engine, I doubt you will feel any difference except in your wallet. Those are some spiffy toys though.

yeah, Im still going through my engine build and I agree it is a bit pricey, I wanted to see if it makes a difference in reliability and performance. Unfortunately, there is no data to compare both the old ignition system vs DIS

My current ignition setup never gave me issues, so its best to stick with what I have for now.

I personally can't see this providing much benefit for the average builder.  I am not a fan of the way the coil packs bolt to the valve covers.  It actually looks very out of place.   

I have a Windsor based stroker with EFI and a digital ignition box, and it offers just about any timing, retard, delay, rev limit, etc option that you can think of.

18 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

I personally can't see this providing much benefit for the average builder.  I am not a fan of the way the coil packs bolt to the valve covers.  It actually looks very out of place.   

I have a Windsor based stroker with EFI and a digital ignition box, and it offers just about any timing, retard, delay, rev limit, etc option that you can think of.

totally agree, I want to go EFI, but wasn't sure if this would add extra "Umf" to the reliability and performance. most likely a digital box would make sense, but wondering how reliable those boxes are? 

I use a stock Ford digital ignition box on my '68.  Easy conversion.  Lot's of articles about that swap.

I use a Petronix box on my '70.  Most popular is MSD, widely available and highly reliable.