Mountaineerfan

Side Mirror Install Frustration

Okay, this is a rant, just blowing off some frustration....

When the car was repainted after the accident last year, I had a passenger's side mirror installed to match the driver's side racing mirror (for safety, as this is a DD).  The installer used sheet metal screws, which made the mirror bounce all the time.  I have since found out about the riv-nuts that should have been used (the driver's side is rock steady).  I did some research into them, saw how easy it (should be) is to install without the special tool, and ordered a set from NPD.  

A 10 minute job last night is still not finished today....

I followed the Youtube directions that I found on installing them (because I'm too cheap the buy a specialty tool for a one-time use, and I don't like using a tool and returning it), and found that the rivnuts I have do not have any ridges or way to increase friction on them, so as I tightened the appropriate nut, the whole rivnut would spin in the hole and just extract itself from the bolt instead of crimping.  I fought and fought with it.

So now I am heading to Harbor Freight after work to spend the $50 on the specialty tool.

Dad always said "The right tool for the right job."

Yep ,the harbor freight tool actually works like a pop rivet gun ,you thread the riv nut onto the tool ,insert the rivnut and squeeze ! 

Aluminum riv nuts are worthless so dont use them ,you can get the ribbed steel riv nuts at Ace hard ware stores .

Also give that tool a double squeeze ,the first time may not seat the nut completely 

The harbor freight threaded insert tool is an excellent value.  It contains everything you will need to put the proper Rivnuts in your door.  It even has the exact sized nuts for the stock screws used by ford.  It is only $25.  An excellent value and great investment for such a cheap tool.  I have used it many times.   https://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html?_br_psugg_q=riveter  

CCB5FE80-BBA5-447A-88E4-076B29CF1C71.jpeg

I have a drill mounted riv-nut tool, because I planned on (and did) use them in other places than the mirrors.  

Some lessons learned:

• The hole size is critical.  There are a lot of riv-nut charts on the internet that show what drill size to use for what riv-nut. I also had the same experience with the "spinning" riv-nut on my mirrors.  I have used a very small vise grip on the end of the riv nut, and let it spin around until it grabs hold, then slowly compress the riv-nut.  Or, I have pu ta riv-nut in a vise, and slowly expanded it, then "tapped" it into place.  
  • I did go buy an assortment of riv-nuts on Ebay that had ridges in them.  Much improved results.
  • I use a caliper or micrometer to check the diameter of the riv-nut, and drill a hole that is as close to the diameter as possible.  I did wind up buying some odd size drill for my 1/4" riv nuts.

If you check my build thread, you can see the last time I used them was for my convertible rear well tack strips.

4 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Ridge, that can't be from Harbor Freight, because looks like it says made in USA on it.

Come to think of this one isnt from harbor freight ,i lost the sized tool foe a couple of the nut sizes and bought a harbor freight tool to do a 69 mirror ,still worked perfectly ,now i am not sure where the harbor freight one is ...

3 hours ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Thanks everyone!

So here's the tool I ended up getting.  It worked beautifully!  It took longer to open the box and look at the directions than it did to actually put the mirror on!  Now I have extras for future things that may come up.  Right tool for the job....

Rivnut.thumb.jpg.186987af88eba1bd68386ae4605edaf6.jpg

mirror.thumb.jpg.2a9309f09ec3e9e923d4839c88141a4f.jpg

Thats a nice tool ..i am betting there will be riv nuts in just about everything around you  . Oh that could use a riv nut !

The key to successful threaded insert installation is using a drill a couple sizes smaller first, then following with a reamer the actual hole size needed.   A drill bit can't make a perfectly sized & round hole.   Step drills are now pretty common & inexpensive and do a much better job than a normal drill bit, so this is an option too if you don't want to buy special reamer(s).    

Inserts must be the type with ridges on the outside, and the one-piece type like Mountainerfan bought in his kit that expand and pinch the sheet metal are much better than the ones that split so the inner goes inside and expands the outer half (look like what BobW70Mac1 posted).

We used to use the split type at work until we found the one-piece type and never went back.   

I used the split type to mount racing mirrors and was not happy with the results after a few years.   Thankfully the one-piece uses a larger dia. hole, so it was easy to change them out later on. 

Doug    

Moutaineerfan can you post a link to the tool you purchased?

I sometimes get like you where I hate to buy a tool for a one-time use. Almost inevitably I end up getting it and find out I can use it to do a better job on many other projects going forward.

Thanks for the post.

2 hours ago, copb8 said:

Moutaineerfan can you post a link to the tool you purchased?

I sometimes get like you where I hate to buy a tool for a one-time use. Almost inevitably I end up getting it and find out I can use it to do a better job on many other projects going forward.

Thanks for the post.

It's from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-professional-rivet-nut-setter-kit-58078.html

I have a steel building that I'm thinking these rivnuts will be perfect for hanging stuff on the outside of the building since you can't just drive a nail into it.

28 minutes ago, Mountaineerfan said:

It's from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-professional-rivet-nut-setter-kit-58078.html

I have a steel building that I'm thinking these rivnuts will be perfect for hanging stuff on the outside of the building since you can't just drive a nail into it.

Thanks