Flanders

Power steering pump with TCP rack&pinion

Just piecing components together here --

I've got a TCP power rack and pinion kit for my '69 with 351W.    It came with a KRC pump, which is apparently a GM type-2 style pump, and I've also got all the brackets for installation.

HOWEVER, I'm now leaning towards getting a serpentine set-up "while I'm in there" and it would appear there are a lot more serpentine kits that use a saginaw-style pump rather than the GM type-2 pump.

Seems like TCP tech support is a touch slow to reply...but is there a saginaw-style pump that would work with the TCP rack? (most likely not a KRC one?)

So your kit has serpentine pulley and u want v groove pulley. If that is right can u simply change the pulley to v groove. I know sometimes in the aftermarket world u can find v groove pulleys with the correct dia. and hub to change them out.

other way around -- I have a stock v-belt now, and want to go serpentine.  But It seems there are not a lot of options for serpentine kits that work with the KRC (gm type-2 compatible) pump.  So, I'm hoping for suggestions on a saginaw style pump that will work with my TCP rack&pinion.

I was having issues with PS pump that came with my Unisteer rack and pinion on my original v-belt system.  I could not get the pulley to line up. I'm going to use the CVF Racing pulley kit and will probably also use their Saginaw PS pump so everything lines up. Do you know what the PSI its rated for? If its a low flow than I believe CVF makes a regulator to drop the pressure if need be. Can you post a picture of your pump and I'll see if my Unisteer is the same one?

IMG_8156.JPG

IMG_8157.JPG

IMG_8158.JPG

The TCP kit came with this one from KRC:
image.thumb.png.6ee1b20b2a09785d3d905eed66bcd393.png

I'll have to get a picture of the rear of it later once I'm home, but it's 2 bolt holes at the 12 and 6 oclock position.  (GM type-2 style pump, apparently).

It seems I can use the CVF saginaw p-series pump with their reducer value (brings it down to 800psi), and I'm within spec of the TCP r&p (under 950psi).  With the saginaw pump, at least I can go with the CVF Beast serpentine system.   Looks like I'll have a KRC pump for sale soon!

You can get serpentine pulleys for your pump at KRCpower.com

I don't think you'll find a better pump than the KRC unit. Stay with it. You can change flow valves on it to tune it to your liking too. I did change mine.

I have a full KRC setup, and it's very clean. After this picture was taken, I have changed the WP pulley from a 6rib/6rib to a 6rib/3rib.

35737832892_13d9cba943_b.jpg

I do like the KRC pump, however if seems if I go with a CVF serpentine, I need to go with their Wraptor system (it's the only one for SBF engine with GM type-2 pump mount).  Unfortunately, it moves the alt to the drivers side, and costs $1000 more, which I'm not keen on.  Spec-wise, a saginaw pump with pressure reducer value should do the trick.

Maybe I can convert/modify their "Beast" bracket to support the KRC pump?

https://www.cvfracing.com/ford-289-302-351w-serpentine-conversion-kit-alternator-power-steering/

We'll see. Otherwise, lanky expect a PM.

Call Brian at CVF and tell him what you want to accomplish.  They are very accommodating and can often help configure a belt drive to do exactly what you want it to do with parts they already make and/or they can tweak one of their existing designs to work for you.  T he GM Type II pumps are far too popular and reliable to not have options available like that.

Fvike, did you need to grind down those mount posts to get the pulley to align properly? In the past I had a similar mount and it was a PITA to align, as I had to torque everything down for it to be in it's actual mounting location. Then see where/how it's misaligned, then unbolt, grind a bit, and redo the process etc...

On 2/23/2022 at 1:56 AM, lanky said:

Fvike, did you need to grind down those mount posts to get the pulley to align properly? In the past I had a similar mount and it was a PITA to align, as I had to torque everything down for it to be in it's actual mounting location. Then see where/how it's misaligned, then unbolt, grind a bit, and redo the process etc...

No, I didn't. I used the supplied spacers to get it right, but I did have to put a 1/4" spacer behind the WP pulley. 

Now that I have a much bigger cooler package (DeWitts Radiator and SPAL dual fans) I needed that 1/4" back to get enough clearance for the alternator and one of the fan motors, so everything is moved max in. 6 rib/3 rib WP pulley is also installed. I need to cut 1/4" off the PS pump bolts, as they are too long now.

44552775155_a15ae70aea_b.jpg