Hossgs70

1970 Flasher issue

Hi Brainstrust!

I have a 1970 Fastback, the front indicators and emergency flashers & dash lights work perfectly, but the rears do not?

How are the rear indicators wired to the front? Is it at the flasher unit under the dash?

As I understand theres likely 2 flasher units, but before I take the dash apart (again) want to look for the simple option...

No voltage to rear lamps

Cant see it being fuse or relays as front lamps are fine....

Car has been rewired at some stag in its life, all main relays positioned behind front RH Headlight....

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

1970 side marker lamps are also turn signal lamps, but they are not grounded.  Instead, they compare voltage of the flasher to rear running lights.  This causes real problems in trouble-shooting. Brake lights are combined with turn signals at the turn signal switch.

That said, it sounds like your rear running lights are not operational.  By any chance is this an automatic car, and if so, does the PRNDL shifter lamp work?  It also works off of running lights.  If not, then I would suspect your headlight switch or bad running light wiring (not fused).

Put on your emergency flashers, see if the rear directional lights work

If  not, Check to see if the PO used LED bulbs.   They need a special flasher usually

See if your rear license plate light is working, that comes off of the running lights.

Midlife that is very interesting trivia about the side marker lights on the 1970's.    They are wired differently than the '69s.   I wonder why.  Mine had these weird "T" connectors hooked into the tail light harness to power the bulbs in the side marker lights.