EastYorkStang

200 6cyl weight

On 2/9/2022 at 6:48 PM, Vicfreg said:

The 302 is probably 75 - 100 pounds heavier.  I did a '68 coupe 6 cyl to 5.0 swap, worked out fine.

That’s what I thought. With the battery put in the trunk and maybe some aluminum bits I’m hoping it gets close. 

Can you bring some warm southern air next time you’re heading up this way !?

That’s why we could use some warm weather. I’m about two hours east of where you work up here. Actually I usually spend my winters near Owen Sound. We don’t get much snow here. 

As for the car I’m transplanting the driveline out of an 89 LX 5.0 into this Zephyr. Not modifying the engine much. More the suspension with lightweight K Frame and other bits. 

I put a small block on a Mustang that came with 200 over 20 years ago. Kept 6 cylinder springs, 7.25 diff, front factory discs and rear drums. This is a daily driver/cruiser. Diff was still working until last year and started whining as it leaked fluid and I did not add some in time. Front springs were a little soft for the small block and the front of the car would roll and dip. Instead of changing the springs, I moved the spring perches about 1/2 inches inward (drilled 2 new holes on UCA). By changing the moment arm, 6 cylinder springs act stiffer. This change has been working good for me.

In short, you do not have to change the diff, front springs etc. for a cruiser/daily driver.

Yeah, I did that for a while before I upgraded my '68 suspension. It was a good driver, but going fast it got a little tricky. I think the front end parts were ancient and they needed to be replaced..

EastYork - yeah, the weather has been brutally cold up in Port Elgin.  When the weather warms up, I'd love to come by and see your conversion project.

Vic