SHELBY69

Tempted to go full restomod

The new Shelby GT350 & GT500 are beautiful cars.

I love my 69 GT350 too but I have zero doubt a new Gt350 will smoke mine all day long in every category except looks.

dropping a 69 Shelby Gt350 on a 2022 GT500 would be madness. Getting tempted to go there or maybe I just get a 2022 GT500 too.

A4506E1A-FA6A-476A-B213-173A3438DCD0.jpeg

If I had a real GT350, had no plans to ever sell it, and wanted it go be more compedative I would at most upgrade it with bolt-on stuff, or maybe, MAYBE, minor welding. Lowering the seat platform to be able to fit more comfortable, yes. Rising the transmission tunnel to fit a different transmission, maybe. Removing the shock towers and installing a different crossmember and suspension, BIG NO NO. Whatever you do the car will be worth less. Money aside, I think you should at least reflect on that it's really a rare piece of car history that you are trying to modify.

If I had way more time, money and skills, and I REEEALY wanted a bad ass GT350 I would probably get a random shell and make into a GT350 clone.

Something like this: 297929.jpg

The reason I'm modifying my coupe is its a "nothing special" base coupe as far as being a collectable is concerned, low optioned. If it was a boss or Shelby that would be a different story. Even a Mach 1 would get some performance mods for sure. I agree with Casgar above, build a Shelby tribute with all the mods you'd like to do to your original Shelby.

I have done a couple coupe restomods that started as "T" Code (6 cylinder) coupes.  The last one I did was my '68, and it was in great shape with around 190,000 miles on it.  Did a modern powertrain, reverted back to edlebrock high rise with holley, used upgraded stock (opentracker) suspension components, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3.73 Explorer Rear, T-5Z trans, power steering.  It is a blast to drive, looks great, and didn't cost a fortune.  The coupes are great cars.  Nothing special or exotic, but fun.

IMG_0017.JPG

DCP_7219.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

dsc_0020a.jpg

ustang.jpg

016.JPG

Feb-March 2009 024.JPG

dsc_0021a.jpg

I’m just doing bolt ones. I installed a T6 trans, AC, ecklers shocks, springs, fat sway bars, BAER brakes on front, fake HALIBRANDS, NARDI steering wheel, Bluetooth, serious race harnesses & better seats custom upholstered.  I got some new composite rear springs to stop the original springs from being so noisy. I’m just day dreaming. I won’t mess her up. She’s a beauty.

0F86A286-A6F2-49C2-B87C-E10863C1FAE3.jpeg

AF6D7121-0E2F-4C83-AA73-DED66BA5F3F4.jpeg