jjstang

3 pt seat belt experience

I've spent days looking for recent post on this topic, didn't find much, but ended up with questions.

69 mach1

Couldn't find a picture of some one sitting in their car with the drop down extension, particularly with the high back seats.
I thought what I wanted was the drop-down but after seeing the Seatbelt Store installation photos (in a 70 sportroof), it didn't look like it was laying on the guy's neck badly, particularly how the belt has to route around the high back seat. 

I'm only 5'9" (and shrinking)

Also being able to push the seats all the back my not be an issue for me.

Anyone have any experience with this situation and/or, photos, updates?

tia

I do have to add…..
The factory didn’t use a drop down. 
Maybe we are just smarter now????

The one shown above is 7". Just for reference, my FB has the original belts and they are either shoulder or lap, not 3 point. The dropdown for the shoulder is 6" We only used the shoulder belt once or twice because they are such a PITA.  This link is for 3 point with a retractor: https://www.seatbeltstore.com/Articles.asp?ID=248

I’ve seen those too 

I’m really curious how the shoulder belt hits across the chest. Would like to see a picture with someone sitting in the car. 
I read the shoulder belt should mounted at least 12” above the shoulder.  

I use the factory belts, separate lap and shoulder belts. While they are a bit of a pain (not retractable, almost always put them on and then take them off to reach the parking brake, lol) they are plenty comfortable and work just fine. I'm 5'9" also and they fit just fine. are you just wanting the retractable versions?

I looked into this place that will rebuild your originals with new webbing and they also have some 3 point options.  The only 3-point option I have seen that has buckles that look right is a Scott Drake product but the reviews state that the holes have to be reamed out to get the bolt through them.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

Here is the Scott Drake I have been looking at: 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-seat-belt-retractable-3-point-black-with-vintage-push-button-front-pair-mustang-coupe-fastback-1968-1973/p/SBR9B/

My '69 Mach 1 had no belts when I bought it. When the time came for belts I bought the 3 point set-up that Juliano's Hot Rod parts sells. No drilling. Works great. The shoulder belt could use a drop down that Juliano's has. I just have not made that purchase yet.   Dave R.

I believe I used Wesco performance for mine and havent had an issue other than the following: (1) i should have ordered a longer extension at the floor where the belt snaps into, mine is to short and I have to squeeze my fingers between the center console and the seat to unbuckle--i guess this doesnt apply if you dont have a console (2) the locking mechanism is pretty sensitive if you pull the belt too quickly. 

I dont recall what drop down I ordered but I can snap some pics if you would like.

5 hours ago, 69volunteer said:

I believe I used Wesco performance for mine and havent had an issue other than the following: (1) i should have ordered a longer extension at the floor where the belt snaps into, mine is to short and I have to squeeze my fingers between the center console and the seat to unbuckle--i guess this doesnt apply if you dont have a console (2) the locking mechanism is pretty sensitive if you pull the belt too quickly. 

I dont recall what drop down I ordered but I can snap some pics if you would like.

Oh yes!  If you can get one with someone sitting with it hooked. Up. I would like to see how it routes around the high back seat and across the neck/chest. Sorry if I’m asking for to much. 

I had posted all these pics of the Scott Drake 3-Point Kit that I installed in my Hardtop in this thread ...

seat belt buckles - 1969-70 Technical Forum - 69stang.com and 1969stang.com The 1969 and 1970 Mustang Supersite

... back in 2017.   All the pics are gone, so I'm reposting them here.

Used all the stock mounting locations and just had to ream out the inner belt and retractor anchor plates (used a 0.501" reamer) to be able to use the OEM bolts.

Read the thread (last 3 posts on page 1 & more on page 2) for all the details. 

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 1.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 2.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 3.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt set 4.JPG

It has been 4 summers of driving now and I absolutely love these belts.   Ended up buying the rear belt sets too in April of 2018, so the different buckle style could not be compared.

They say the buckles are similar to '67 Mustang and the look is close enough for me to the deluxe '68-69 belts I had that only me or another '68-69 Mustang expert would notice the difference.   A bonus is the buckles do NOT rattle in the console like the originals did.   

At first, I was thinking of being stealthy and figuring out how to get stock male ends onto the retractor assemblies so I could use the stock center buckles, but then I'd be back to hearing the buckles rattle in the console holders, so that idea went away quickly.

Doug   

Last 3 pics ...

SD 3-PT Inner Belt Mounting.JPG

SD 3-PT Ret  & Seat Full Back 1.JPG

SD 3-PT Ret & Seat Full Back 2.JPG

I installed these same belts almost immediately after buying the car. I believe I may have even used stangs-r-me's post for some guidance (thanks). I'm very happy with the belts overall but have 2 small complaints. The retractor for the shoulder belt isn't very strong so you have to slightly coax it to rewind sometimes.

The adjustment clasp of the buckle strap needs to have more aggressive knurling as it slowly (over many uses) allows the buckle to slide out along the strap. Easy enough to occasionally readjust it so not a big deal. I do feel it'll hold strong in an accident at the position it's set so not a safety issue.