Shemp

Shock tower woes

Wasn't expecting this on the driver side.  Pulled the suspension getting ready to replace the inner aprons and came across a "few" cracks.  The car, '69 vert 351w, has the welded big block supports and the export brace bolts right up so I do think the towers are located correctly.  I'm not sure if the shock tower is salvageable by stop drilling and welding or if I just need to replace it and add another set of big block braces.   Any input from those with more experience would be helpful.  

ShockTOuterLH.jpg

ShockTInnerLH.jpg

As far as I know, the inner piece on shock tower and big block reinforcements were not lap welded at the factory. I bet they were cracked and they put the big block brace looking reinforcements inside (real big block reinceforcement is one piece, not 3 pieces welded together) and lap welded everything so the cracks won't grow. I would V grind the cracks and weld them and not spend time to stop drill unless you want a big project and replace the towers etc.

Based on the quality and style of the weld beads, I'm seeing two different people welding on there. That shock tower has seen better days. I'm leaning towards replacing the tower, but wouldn't fault you for repairing it. 

The question is what do you want to do with the car.

all original or a hot rod?

someone already fixed the tower with one of those kits that I hate but they did not repair the inside. 

For all original you need to replace those towers.

for a hot rod you can grind the welds and make them look better, weld the inside cracks and go from there

2 hours ago, Rsanter said:

The question is what do you want to do with the car.

all original or a hot rod?

someone already fixed the tower with one of those kits that I hate but they did not repair the inside. 

For all original you need to replace those towers.

for a hot rod you can grind the welds and make them look better, weld the inside cracks and go from there

Very little original left on the car from the previous-PO.  It's a restomod driver quality project that as usual with these things becomes more involved as you dig into them.  

my 69 coupe had the same thing, did the chassis strengthening kit and welded all the hairline cracks, never had an issue since and I did autocross, which was scary at first but it never cracked again or show signs of stress.

if your car is 1 or 500 somethings or going concourse.. then I would go the extra mile and replacing the shock towers and reuse the chassis stiffening kit that is installed now.

When I got into my shock towers I saw no cracks. After I made my kit that Rsanter doesn't like and welded the plates in a few cracks appeared.  

I'm doing a hot rod so I V grinded them and welded them in. I haven't driven my car yet but I'm sure they'll be fine

Lack of weld penetration from the back side pic, grind the cracks and weld the backside. Shock tower stress cracks are common, metal work hardens and cracks, weld it up and enjoy unless you are planning massive power upgrades later.