Vicfreg

Custom Console

I've been interested in several but they usually look too custom/modern for my taste when I would like a better designed and more function original looking one.  I may try to build one at some point and look for pieces that look appropriate to the era.  

I have a dark red interior so my thought was to get some camera case material sheets (plastic or vinyl) and try to cover a frame in it and dye parts of it red and others would be black.

So not answering your question except that I don't care for anything out there enough to pay the prices asked. 

This one from TMI is the one I like the best so far.

con73drdr_1.667.jpg

I purchased a console from CustomConsole this year. I like mine but don’t think that is what you are looking for. However, there might be something on their website that you might like or they could work with you on a specific design.  It might be worth asking them.

https://classicconsoles.com/?s=&ymm_search=1&post_type=product&_make=Ford&_model=Mustang&_year=1969

E87D1A16-D9EA-4AC9-9CE4-08E2EDD9A9C2.jpeg

Since I added a center parking brake on the trans tunnel from a 1987 Mustang I am going to make a custom one for my car, plus I am not thrilled with the aftermarket ones or their price.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:26 PM, TexasEd said:

I've been interested in several but they usually look too custom/modern for my taste when I would like a better designed and more function original looking one.  I may try to build one at some point and look for pieces that look appropriate to the era.  

I have a dark red interior so my thought was to get some camera case material sheets (plastic or vinyl) and try to cover a frame in it and dye parts of it red and others would be black.

So not answering your question except that I don't care for anything out there enough to pay the prices asked. 

This one from TMI is the one I like the best so far.

con73drdr_1.667.jpg

Ed this is the one I used in my car. It was decent I guess but if I remember correctly I think I had to take the shifter plate off and put on top of console which made it set up higher. The shifter worked fine but it throw the selector pointer off a bit as I remember it. Have sold car since then so I can't confirm.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:03 AM, bigmal said:

I also added cup holders to my 69 consul. I used the wood insert from a 70 without the seat belt hole

IMG-9352.jpg

I love this.  This is much more appealing to me than what is out there.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:52 AM, kblagron said:

That is nice!  What does the knob above the cup holders do?

Thats for the electric mirrors. One of the threads on this site showed how to fit the mirror motors from an E95 mustang. A great mod.

The swith is from an Australian AU Falcon.

I used my original 70 center console and repurposed the front  and rear ashtrays. The rear now has usb charging ports and the front now houses my own custom warning and diagnostic lights, which I can close the old ashtray lid and hide them. The console is where I mounted the duel power window switch so it is accessible to both front passengers and the power side view mirror control.

20220205_203457.thumb.jpg.a467d20ff47be3892ad886454b134481.jpg

20220205_200959.thumb.jpg.d796e2b8cebb5f481ee747b1c867216b.jpg

20220205_195843.jpg.443fce8dc97dc724fe209d5888ff851f.jpg20220205_200439.thumb.jpg.3243e57412ba1de828490648d97f50d9.jpg

Found a picture of how I mounted the speaker in the old ashtray hole.  

Nice. Put a LED interior light in my rear ashtray space, as the convertibles have no dome or sail panel lights, so I needed that.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:23 AM, Vicfreg said:

Where did you get the cupholders?  Assume you cut the opening/circle with a Dremel or some kind of power tool?

I got mine off eBay for $20.89. Came from China of course. Listed as '2PCS Stainless Cup Drinking Holder'

I used a fly cutter very carfully and a dramel at the end.

I’m trying to sit my console down over the shifter, and it’s not fitting properly.

I’m pretty sure I have the automatic transmission insert in my console, and I’m pretty sure I have the right shifter base, so any advice would be appreciated.

5868CBF7-1140-4741-8298-CDB026B674E5.jpeg

8832613F-7D9C-450D-85C5-618E1E66E1C6.jpeg

D368D143-A5AB-456B-889E-913896A9F8F7.jpeg

FD1CD1DB-C774-42EB-879C-D2673247BFF8.jpeg

77E9C965-A06C-41C6-8A46-BC40EC4D84AF.jpeg

Is your issue not sitting flush on the sides of the tunnel?

If so, that is normal, need to be installed over carpet/padding. Install to last piece that goes on top of the console (the piece with chrome and woodgrain vinyl). That top piece is either auto or manual trans specific, make sure you have the one for the auto so it fits over shifter bezel. One side of the opening is angled different on auto one as auto shifter is not centered on tunnel. Install your carpet/padding then put the console over the tunnel. Drill the holes for the side of the console, then drill the top holes. 

Yes, thanks for the info.  I did think about the carpet part, but as you pointed out, the shifter is not centered on the tunnel, and the console is actually made to address that, so after a little playing around with the side to side and front to front position, I got it to the point where it seems to be aligned to my liking.  The car did not have a console originally, and I have replaced some sheet metal, so I wanted to pre-drill the mounting holes.  Haven't done that yet.  On the automatic cars with the mini-console, the shifter base is fully exposed. On the full console, it is not fully visible due to the way the console plate sits on top of the shifter base.   

The other thing I thought of is that the Convertibles may have a different center section/floor pan.  Not sure about that, but I have seen some vendors selling consoles that are convertible specific.  Any further advice would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Yes, thanks for the info.  I did think about the carpet part, but as you pointed out, the shifter is not centered on the tunnel, and the console is actually made to address that, so after a little playing around with the side to side and front to front position, I got it to the point where it seems to be aligned to my liking.  The car did not have a console originally, and I have replaced some sheet metal, so I wanted to pre-drill the mounting holes.  Haven't done that yet.  On the automatic cars with the mini-console, the shifter base is fully exposed. On the full console, it is not fully visible due to the way the console plate sits on top of the shifter base.   

The other thing I thought of is that the Convertibles may have a different center section/floor pan.  Not sure about that, but I have seen some vendors selling consoles that are convertible specific.  Any further advice would be appreciated.

Vic, as far as I know, there is no such thing as mini console on 69-70, just the console you have; I believe this includes Shelby too. And 69-70 have 2 piece seat platform on all body styles; not like 65-68 vert specific one piece seat platform. So 65-68 have vert specific consoles but there is no vert specific console on 69-70. If a 69-70 did not come with console, the ash tray is hung under heater control panel; cars with console have the ashtray as part of console (and you have a gauge pod in ashtray spot). So you are good if you have the correct top piece (chrome piece) for auto shifter. As a side note, 69 have cigar lighter on console by arm rest, non console cars have the lighter on ash tray assy under heater control panel. 70 console does not have a lighter, lighter is next to wiper switch. Last time I looked for a console all reproduction consoles were 69 consoles with lighter, don't know if they started to reproduce 70 consoles without lighter.

Install your carpet, center the shifter bezel, press on the console and drill the side holes. I would recommend that before you drill the holes, heat up a nail or something and burn through the carpet through console holes carefully otherwise your drill bit may catch the carpet loop and pull the string damaging your carpet, happened to me on a 66. Burn, drill install a screw; one hole at a time.

Vicfreg, if it helps the way to tell the difference between a manual and auto chrome console insert is the opening for the auto is deeper on the sides than in the front and rear, but overall shallower than the manual.  On the manual, there is no lip on the sides and its all the same depth around the opening.  Below is a pic of the auto:

conp16s.121_1.jpg