RCE1313

Painting Fuel Tank

Sorry if this has been posted before and I tried to search the topic but had no luck. 

Has anyone had any success painting their fuel tank?  My tank is probably 8 years old and is the basic galvanized tank.  I've started to notice that the tank just doesn't appear to appealing anymore and maybe this is what white rust looks like  Any advice on how to address?  Maybe using Kilz all purpose primer and then paint black or silver?

tank.jpg    

I would clean it up with soap and water or maybe some CLR ?  Anyway get rid of the surface oxidation and shoot it with some rust inhibitor.  The spray results in turning the area a dark almost black color.  I sprayed some on the caliper in the picture. The treated area is much darker.  Or you could also try using some gun blue ?   You can always paint the color of your choice later. Brian

NAPA Rust Treatment- Inhibitor.JPG

On my '68, I cleaned mine with some steel wool and then clear coated it with Eastwood Diamond Clear Satin.   Seems to be holding up ok.  In fact, all the bare metal I coated on my '68 nearly 15 years ago looks good, not yellowed.