Vicfreg

Power Door Locks

The ‘70 Lincolns and Thunderbirds had power door locks that used vacuum actuators.  They are similar to shaker hood ram air mid plate  flapper actuators.  I am for sure not interested in that!

There are some nice retrofit kits that have a remote control and other features like trunk lid and ignition cut off.   I am likely headed that way

https://autoworksparts.com/product/1969-1970-mustang-power-door-lock-kit

I know this is an older thread but I got sick of craptastic aftermarket addons years ago. Seemed like they always failed later. For door lock motors in my '67, I got some junkyard one from the rear doors of 1991-94 Explorer. Not least because no one had ever heard of one failing. Also because they are fairly slim. Tough part is if you use such you have to fabricate just everything other darn thing to install them. 

Three weeks is an older thread? C'mon Ben. Even if it was even let's say a really old thread of three months old, we wouldn't give you a hard time for reviving it. Good hands on experience is always welcome. One of these days I'm gonna start following good advice. Maybe. 

5 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

What did Chrysler use in the 1970s ? Remember just pulling up the knob would lock or unlock the others ?

The '72 Ford Country Squire wagon I drove in HS had the vacuum actuated locks that worked like this ... it was pretty cool.   

Don't know when Ford switched to solenoid, but the next Country Squire my dad bought (1978) had normal electric operated locks.   Electric is simpler and probably more reliable / easier to service ... but I think the 72's vacuum system was still working when my dad sold it in the early 80's with 100k+ miles on it.    Whether the lock system was ever serviced in the 10 years we had the car, that I don't know.

Doug      

A 1990's something Volvo caught my eye once. Like Eastyorkstang says you could work the driver's door lock knob to operate the other door locks. I liked the idea because though I put in power locks, I had no interest in an extra switch. I just ended up using the alarm remote, no switch. But I looked into the Volvo setup and it was fairly straightforward. They just used a pair of microswitches trigged by the rod/latch motion of working the lock knob. Wired into relays and such I gave the setup a pass. I have too many relays and such going on already. Example, I wanted a semi-custom overhead console with stuff in it. (The '67, not my '69) A place to put extra switches among other things. I started with one wire going up to the old dome light. Last I counted there were 26 wires going up to my console.