SHELBY69

Stopping steering wander

So she wanders a bit on the highway sort of esses down the road. I just have to be alert & bring her back to center. Nothing crazy like my 1960 Eldorado which is terrifying at 60 mph. What can be done to tighten the steering to prevent wander ? Thanks.

I agree.  Check worn parts.  Mine was wandering when I would hit bumps, but all felt tight.  The lower control arm bushings were shot and changing geometry of steering with every bump.  Scary.  Also if steering wheel has a lot of play you can tighten steering box if that's where your play is.

Mine was horrible before I replaced all the steering bushings and rebuilt the power steering system.  Also added a roller idler arm.  Did this at the same time I did the suspension and brakes.  Then used the shelby drop/radial tire alignment specs. You can get under the car and have someone turn the wheel to see where the slop is between the steering column shaft turning and the wheels moving.

Love it now.

Had a similar problem once-

If the play is within the control valve, pull the cap off the left end and readjust the lock nut.  Find the instruction online how to adjust the lock nut which will influence the preload within the valve.

image.png.ccf56526c289a84de57d949f14b77a2f.png