TexasEd

Talk me out of painting my car

Had this car a long time and it has some paint and other damage. The peeling paint is in at least 3 places, both upper quarters and above the trunk.  The valance is bent and probably easier to replace it and the right quarter extension has a chunk missing but I have a metal replacement that is yellow.

The engine could use a top end rebuild and the paint looks decent from 20 feet. I know to do this right will be over $10K.  I have it in cash but this would be the most I've ever spent on something for me alone other than a daily driver.  

The car is probably worth more than my paid off daily driver that I plan on keeping for a long time.  It also needs a new headliner, new windshield and if it was painted I would want to replace or rechrome the bumpers.

I have the interior out and new seat foam and covers, new carpet and I'm ready to paint/dye the hard trim. Next thing it will need is all new weather-stripping.

So my choices are put the interior back together with torn headliner or send it out to get painted which will probably take several months. 

IMG_1456.thumb.jpg.9948abf661991e7235d15e8ef87310b6.jpgIMG_1455.thumb.jpg.db7b69f47db747578793a17d6181fed5.jpgIMG_1453.thumb.jpg.229b8bff0bff2dcbecc3f4b273bb50b3.jpgIMG_1447.thumb.jpg.63216eaf6914f406f8ccd4bda5a5c7cc.jpgIMG_1446.thumb.jpg.fd21e3fbcdbe0ad907b8e5e3d6380521.jpg

I'm not sure what tools you already have in your shop/garage but for a lot less than $10k you can always try painting it yourself. There are a lot of videos showing how to do it.  As far as spending the $10k to have it done, if that money isnt needed to pay for anything else and it wont break the bank to spend it, then go for it :)

I have too many kids/not enough time to do it myself. If I tried that route it would take 7+ years.  I don't have the space either, I have a garage but the dust would be everywhere in there.  I'd probably try to rent a stall and that would be money better spent on labor.  

$10k will go pretty quickly with your list of repairs, and the WYAIT factor (while you're at it). Then once you have a shiney new paint job you'll be afraid to drive it for fear of getting rock chips and scratches. Ask @Caseyrhe about driving a pristine Mustang:)

Assuming you have the cash on hand & found someone reputable. I would take headliner & windshield out & have it painted. Install a new headliner & glass, then reassemble. Everything else may be done as time & $ permit. maybe you will not have shinny bumpers to match the shiny new paint but in time you will. 

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I have too many kids/not enough time to do it myself. If I tried that route it would take 7+ years.  I don't have the space either, I have a garage but the dust would be everywhere in there.  I'd probably try to rent a stall and that would be money better spent on labor.  

in that case, give it to me. Ill take care of it ;)

Biden and the Dems happened. Uncontrolled spending. Here, let me give you some money.

Two centuries ago, a somewhat obscure Scotsman named Tytler made this profound observation: "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury.

I put a few calls out and will see if the team that quoted about $10K in 2020 can still do it for that.  I think that included them taking out all the interior which I have already done so maybe there is some wiggle room if I do the interior work and some of the reassembly. 

I would like the shop to do the stainless trim since I have little experience there.  Anything else I should make sure the shop does?

heard back from the shop today and the earliest they can get me in is 8-12 months from now with a 6-12 month turnaround after that.

I'm going to put my car back together and drive it until they are ready and pull the interior back out before they get it.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:44 PM, Ridge Runner said:

I just bought a gallon of torch red for a 2005 Gt i just bought ,for the paint and adatives and one gallon of primer it was $1100. ,i still have to by clear and buffing supplies . I used to be able to paint a car for 300 ...what the hell happened?

You know red is the most expensive right up there with yellow.

Unless you have had the car in bare metal before, never assume what you see is what is under the skin.  All of these projects turn into a "discovery" mission, so be prepared.  

Another way of saying this is that sometimes, it's better use your imagination, keep the lights off, and not see the girl naked....

So, my advice....keep the lights off.... enjoy driving the car.....

Not sure Biden has control of my local jobbers PPG prices but maybe. It is crazy how expensive stuff is--i dropped $200 for a quart of deltron recently--everything is expensive.

I have painted multiple items over the years but never a full car (dashes, hard tops, etc). The last job was to blend in a fender bender on a race car and it actually turned out pretty good but I used single stage. I would not recommend painting an entire car your first time out. Looking at the pics particularly the quarter panel, you have some adhesion issues. Most shops are going to want to go down to bare metal to warranty the job which is not going to be cheap. I am in Dallas and imagine Austin is the same, check around, there are guys out there who are good that are getting started with their own shop and are more reasonable. if you want to haul it to Dallas, i can give you a contact here that is very reasonable--i think he painted the first Model T. You can check out my car he painted 10 years ago. 

On 2/1/2022 at 12:59 PM, 69volunteer said:

if you want to haul it to Dallas, i can give you a contact here that is very reasonable--i think he painted the first Model T. You can check out my car he painted 10 years ago. 

I would like that contact please.

I've seen folks paint cars with rustoleium and a paint roller, then a fair amount of sanding to get it smooth.  Cost of supplies likely less than $1000.

I've also seen cars covered with glued-on pennies.  Cheap supplies (again, likely less than $1000), but it does make the car a bit heavier.

Nice color, Ridge.  I have been thinking of getting an 05 or 06 for another car, I have a teen getting her drivers license soon and she may get my F150 and later she could have the Mustang.

Got this one cheap because of what was supposed to be a stuck motor ,turned our to be the starter. Dropped another motor in it any way from a low mile 2007 that got rearended .  I will still have around 7000 in it when done . At least i was able to sell the old motor and tranny for 500 so that helps a bit. Hope to paint the body tomorrow cross fingers