bigmal

Panhard Rod - Seaking advice

Hi all,

Happy new year. Hope you all had a great Christmas break.

My 69 is basically stock suspension. 1 1/8" and 3/4" sway bars. Better shocks and Shelby drop. I was recently driving pretty quick off the highway exit and noticed the rear wanted to be in the front. Nothing major as I corrected it before it was an issue. It felt a lot like the tires were flexing. BFG 245/60/15 at 30PSI.

I am thinking of making/fitting a Panhard rod. Could I have some feeback on individual experince with these.

Is there a noticeable difference in handling/cornering?

Thanks, Mal.

I have one on both of my cars. The original Boss 302 suspension book has the details on how to make one.   I used Chris Alston Chassisworks stuff, and I like it.  It is adjustable.   The panhard bar keeps the axle centered under cornering, similar to a Watts Link.   I think it feels more stable.  

Some pics of mine attached.  Some literature attached.

B984900C-9D45-40BB-981C-E9EBB3D55FC7.thumb.jpeg.1c840b6a0bfb031b49ee3a6a13eae8df.jpg

Rear Suspension August 2017.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

18 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

I have one on both of my cars. The original Boss 302 suspension book has the details on how to make one.   I used Chris Alston Chassisworks stuff, and I like it.  It is adjustable.   The panhard bar keeps the axle centered under cornering, similar to a Watts Link.   I think it feels more stable.  

Some pics of mine attached.  Some literature attached.

B984900C-9D45-40BB-981C-E9EBB3D55FC7.thumb.jpeg.1c840b6a0bfb031b49ee3a6a13eae8df.jpg

Rear Suspension August 2017.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

nice, any more pictures how the exhaust was routed through the panhard bar? Im between using something like or going with SOT's rear coil over kit.

That picture really shows it all.  The drivers side exhaust needs to run in between the top, fixed bar (the black one) and the lower, movable bar (aluminum one).    I didn't want to install a 4 link or Watts Link as you need to modify the trunk floor, and with a convertible, that trunk area interface is rare sheet metal and did not want to fuss with it.

The V-Band clamp on Vic's set-up really helped in getting the system in and out of the car numerous times. Once the over the axle portion was where is should be, the rest had to be finessed into position. There is a lot of clearance between the bars, nothing is close in this area. Now the tips, thats another story.

IMG_1709.jpg.5cdd2ddc78fdd749e4ea1149ee1ef48d.thumb.jpeg.4404c230575f1f14f4aa0911585f8101.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpg.4209de216a4b3f78535febfba12236a1.thumb.jpeg.c5052b00c00a9d1dc2256b7f81536097.jpeg

If I had over steer, I'd disconnect the rear sway at take it for a spin. I think that would solve your issue. I also have a 1-1/8" front bar and thought I'd need a rear bar, but it handles really nice and neutral with only the front bar. I've driven it hard without any over steer.

2 hours ago, rwcstang said:

nice, any more pictures how the exhaust was routed through the panhard bar? Im between using something like or going with SOT's rear coil over kit.

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

If I had over steer, I'd disconnect the rear sway at take it for a spin. If think that would solve your issue. 

I have a 3/4 rear bar and not really happy with the way it's set up. Instead of loops at the end of the bar that the bolt and rubbers go in to, it has a strait bar that a rubber bush clamps around.

You slide the bush further it to make it stiffer. I was reversing around a very uneven driveway and heard a bang. The rubber had come off the end of the bar. A very poor set up. I will take your advice and try with the bar off. I may consider a thinner bar with the loop ends as well.

Thanks Bob