Paige302

69 quarter scoop chrome attachment

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to reattaching the original chrome to the quarter scoop after pulling it apart for repainting. I had to cut the chrome pieces flush with the back of the black panel to separate the three parts. I've seen a video where someone uses JB weld. I'd like to use the original instead of buying the reproduction.

has anyone done it any differently?

cheers

2 hours ago, Paige302 said:

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to reattaching the original chrome to the quarter scoop after pulling it apart for repainting. I had to cut the chrome pieces flush with the back of the black panel to separate the three parts. I've seen a video where someone uses JB weld. I'd like to use the original instead of buying the reproduction.

cheers

Can't remember for sure but weren't there retainers on the pins holding the chrome? I filled around the pins with 2 part epoxy on a 69 that was missing some retainers.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, Paige302 said:

Hi all,

cheers

What part are you describing when you say quarter scoop?  I'm picturing the 69 sportsroof rear quarter fake scoop.  I have one of mine out now to tighten the black inserts because they are loose and rattle a little but there is no chrome around these parts.

Edit - thinking now that this is the coupe trim?

@Hertz65 I'm up in brissy

@TexasEd we can blame the lack of sleep for not being descriptive enough. its the ornamental scoop on the coupe infront of the rear wheel.

@aslanefe the reproductions have a little fastener to hold it in place but the originals or my car at least, I literally don't know how to describe it, it's like the metal has been flattened to secure it in place so we had to cut it to disassemble the parts for painting. 

I've had some suggestions on the Aus forum to use silicon or 3m tape because it is not as permanent as epoxy if I need to take it apart again which I probably leaning towards. 

2 hours ago, Paige302 said:

@Hertz65 I'm up in brissy

@TexasEd we can blame the lack of sleep for not being descriptive enough. its the ornamental scoop on the coupe infront of the rear wheel.

@aslanefe the reproductions have a little fastener to hold it in place but the originals or my car at least, I literally don't know how to describe it, it's like the metal has been flattened to secure it in place so we had to cut it to disassemble the parts for painting. 

I've had some suggestions on the Aus forum to use silicon or 3m tape because it is not as permanent as epoxy if I need to take it apart again which I probably leaning towards. 

On my 69, some of the pins were "flattened" as you call and some had the "fasteners". The car had been painted before, I think they flattened the ones when they lost some of the fasteners or damaged them while removing for paint. It is easier to put the fasteners and less chance of messing it up; so I believe factory should have used the fasteners instead of flattening them.