lalojamesliz

Is this enough space for my torque converter?

I bolted up my flexplate with the block plate and I inserted my torque converter all the way into the trans (3 steps). 

I bolted up my 4r70w to my 351w and I can slide the torque converter roughly 3/16" (0.1975) from its seated position against the trans to the flexplate.  

Is that enough space or do I need to space it out more? 

Super stoked I'm finally at this step!

I'm going to order some  bellhousing bolts, flexplate bolts and bolts for the torque converter to flexplate then I can give the final assembly.  

I know arp bolts are nice and strong but do I really need all of these in arp? Just curious 

16416124691876683893870536474925.jpg

3/16 inch gap is aok. I've read that anywhere from 1/16 to 3/16 is good. 

Do you need ARP, no. Plenty on miles on Henry bolts over the years. But you won't beat the quality and piece of mind with ARP. At minimum get the 6 flex plate bolts. 

6 hours ago, RPM said:

And... you said bolts for the torque converter, but you already know they take nuts. 

Not mine.... it's a PTC 10" and it only has threaded holes on it. I looked it up before and it's a decent brand.  It came with the 4r70w I bought used. I guess the guy either removed the studs or it had bolts.

I was measuring for the bolts last night and my converter has 3/4" max available depth so I'm looking for 7/16" 3/4"-20 with some thick locking washers or studs with the nuts I guess.

My flexplate has 1" max available depth with it mounted and it has the same thread pitch as the converter so 7/16" 1"-20 with thick locking washers. 

For the bellhousing,  I need 2.25" length bolts and don't see packs of 6..... whatever. Always something 

20220108_072847.jpg

Aftermarket "high stall" torque converters are most often repurposed stock torque converters originally used behind a small and weakish engine. Back in the day "Chevy Monza" torque converters were the go-to's. So much so that none exist anymore in stock forum. Small cars and engines use small diameter converters, so the builders weld "ears" on them to match up to big engine flexplates. Then they drill an tap them according to what flexplate the intended use it. They or you could bother to put studs in but nobody does. Some such converters aren't even threaded, you have to use nuts and bolts. Whatever, it all seems to work OK. I do like to use blue Loctite on choices other than the stock Ford studs and nuts which don't need it.