Machspeed

Tail Light Panel Observation

I'm replacing the tail light panel on my Mach. Before I pulled it, I took lots of measurements and photos, as it is the OEM panel. Something I noted and found interesting was the top area of the panel were it first meets up with the body. Note the uneven spacing between the left and right sides. Hopefully my pictures will explain what I'm trying to say. Wondering if this is typical? I have to do a repair in this area and thinking about just fitting it up all the way across.      

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

22 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

If you shift it over to match sides it will throw off the tail lights ,i would make sure the lights are same side to side and not worry about that 

No Ridge, not going to shift the tail panel but will add metal to the body panel to bring it all the way across and meet up evenly with the tail panel. Thanks fellas!

I did exactly what u described and made it look pretty, not necessary but just me being particular. Mine was a Dearborn car and it appeared to me that the assembly plant filled those 2 joints and also the 2 where the filler piece and quarters meet with brass/brazing rod.   

5 hours ago, Machspeed said:

No Ridge, not going to shift the tail panel but will add metal to the body panel to bring it all the way across and meet up evenly with the tail panel. Thanks fellas!

Machspeed, before you remove the tail light panel, weld a 1x1 tube or something as brace from left to right side of the fender where it touches the trunk (6 to 8 inches forward of the area you pictured). This way your trunk gaps on left and right side will stay the same after panel replacement. 

15 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Machspeed, before you remove the tail light panel, weld a 1x1 tube or something as brace from left to right side of the fender where it touches the trunk (6 to 8 inches forward of the area you pictured). This way your trunk gaps on left and right side will stay the same after panel replacement. 

aslanefe, thanks for that tip. I actually thought to do that before cutting out the panel but nixed it in case I didn't like the factory setting. I may regret

18 hours ago, det0326 said:

I did exactly what u described and made it look pretty, not necessary but just me being particular. Mine was a Dearborn car and it appeared to me that the assembly plant filled those 2 joints and also the 2 where the filler piece and quarters meet with brass/brazing rod.   

Yes, they were spot welded in and then brazed on the ends. Destroyed the ends trying to get it all undone, thus the need for rebuilding the ends and my original question. Thanks!