Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Where does this bar go (dash support)?

On 12/22/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mach1 Driver said:

Not that this helps much, but it could be this:

image.thumb.png.ba7a06c26e26a93cf5ed85f16eb53874.png

I think this might be right but mine has a pad on one end to support something. I'll do some trial and error testing. 

The orientation in your pic is upside down.  I'm sure if you took that pad off you'd find a bolt hole to bolt up to the lip on the lower inner edge of the lower dash. The top hole bolts to the tab on the cowl area in pic. 

20211227_171056.thumb.jpg.4ca296d5c9d1f305bec85eb98c09cf22.jpg

20211227_170950.thumb.jpg.5f5de38aa6d4ce320fe7b9bcfd30123d.jpg

3 minutes ago, jmlay said:

Ed,

You have it correct.

Well I guess I'm not putting that one back because I'm not in a mood to figure out how to replace that bolt from the other side with a longer one so I can add a nut on the inside.  IIRC it is one of the bolts that holds the brake booster bracket and I would need to reverse it and put the nut on the engine bay side anyway.

If any of you are wondering why these were not installed before it was because I used to have a dealer installed AC system (looked like this) and they interfered with the air ducts.  It did not use them for 50+ years so I should be ok.  I did get the one curved one back on near the radio.  

I am installing a Classic Auto Air system like this and now I don't have the clearance issues when putting the dash back together.

My favorite thread here. I bought my car gutted. The interior was literally the steering column, pedals, and firewall. I've accumulated most of the dash but saw a kit of used dash extra bits on eBay and couldn't figure out what a couple of the parts were exactly for. The assembly manuals were of very limited help. I even got a neighbor to let me stick my head under his dash. (Couldn't see squat.) The pictures in this thread pretty well nailed the last things I needed to figure out.     I think.    Hope...

21 hours ago, GypsyR said:

My favorite thread here. I bought my car gutted. The interior was literally the steering column, pedals, and firewall. I've accumulated most of the dash but saw a kit of used dash extra bits on eBay and couldn't figure out what a couple of the parts were exactly for. The assembly manuals were of very limited help. I even got a neighbor to let me stick my head under his dash. (Couldn't see squat.) The pictures in this thread pretty well nailed the last things I needed to figure out.     I think.    Hope...

Great.  My dash is still apart while I finish up the stereo install.  I even have the gauge cluster out and did some minor resto work on it if you have questions.

I took mine down to the firewall and have a lot of pictures not posted yet if you need those.  I'm installing that AC system I mentioned above.