rittenrotton

Starting issue

I recently rewired my 70 with the American Autowire Classic Update kit. I have everything wired but now the car won't start. I hear the starter engage and I have a little over 12 Volts on both sides of the starter solenoid. I also have 12 volts on the starter solenoid on the mini starter. My msd 6al has power but the engine is not turning over. It's not even cranking; all I hear is a click from the starter when I crank it the ignition or I try starting it by jumping the starer solenoid. Hoping somebody here has a suggestion we can give me some guidance and what could possibly be the reason the engine won't even turn over.

Well its obviously electrical. The starter clicks, so power is getting to the solenoid coil. Check the cables: battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter, battery to block. 

If its a PMGR, this is how its usually done (not my drawing). It only shows the big terminals, the wires to the smaller terminals remain the same:

image.png.0377ba532448df4047ac5b940e18009f.png

Maybe stating the obvious here but modern mini-starters have an integral solenoid, so if you're still using the stock solenoid on the inner fender, you've actually got 2 solenoids and you have to wire things accordingly, like Mach I Driver's diagram illustrates.. 

The two solenoid approach is how Ford did it for a while. It prevents starter run-on after releasing the key.  What happens if the starter is a permanent magnet type is that as soon as power is turned off and its still spinning it becomes a generator, back-feeding enough to keep it engaged for an annoyingly long time.

What kind of starter do you have.  I have an AAW kit, and I am done with the install.  Lots of info on my thread "1970 Convertible Restoration"

- if you have a modern mini-starter, then you need to install a jumper between the solenoid and the starter.  See attached for my starter, and starter wiring diagram.

- Make sure you have a good ground at the starter.   I ran a dedicated ground from the frame rail to the starter mounting bolt on the engine.

- Check the wire #6 path to make sure there is continuity all the way to the starter solenoid. 

- Check your neutral safety switch wires (#5) to make sure they are connected properly and that the switch is working properly.  Check to see if the wire is installed to the "S" connection on the starter solenoid (left one)

- Check the ignition switch wires, 3A, 2B, 4AE to make sure the connections are good

Hope this helps

555-10005.pdf starter power wiring.pdf