KMD88

Weird issue out of nowhere (gas smell, smoke)

Hi everyone,

Woke up to a weird issue with my Mach 1 (351 Windsor, carburated). I was out of town for a few weeks and so the car was sitting in the garage for that time. Turned the key and the engine just wouldn't start (though the ignition did work). Thought I might have drowned the carburator, but even clearing the carburator didn't seem to start her up. 

Finally got the car to start, but the engine sounded really sluggish. Pulled the car briefly out the garage, but that sluggishness just wouldn't go away. Then I noticed I smelled gas and a plume of clear smoke started coming from the exhaust. Got the car parked in the garage again, and turned off the motor. Tried again an hour or two later with the same issue. 

So, I can get the car to start, but the engine sounds weak and I keep getting that clear smoke/gasoline smell coming from the exhaust. 

Checked the oil and the dip stick is reading that the levels are fine. Even the oil seems to be pretty good. It's a little dark, but there's no grime or anything. 

Wanted to see if this sounds at all familiar to anyone. Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks!

Sounds like your Mechanical Fuel Pump went Bad to me. Did u smell the Engine oil dipstick  to see if it smelled like Gas? If so i would replace with a New Fuel Pump and change out the old engine oil with New Fresh Motor oil and oil filter. 

Thanks J's69Mach1 and det0326 for the questions and advice. 

Hi det0326. I have an electric choke. Even if it was hanging, would that explain the clear smoke and gasoline smell? 

Think you may be right about the fuel pump having gone bad, J'S69Mach1

The car is currently in a 2-level underground garage (moving in a month to my own private garage, ironically enough) so I have to deal with towing. Is there anything I could do on my own just to get the car going and get it to the mechanic without having to tow?  

16 hours ago, J's69Mach1 said:

Here where i live in Fresno Ca . There are some Mobile Mechanic repair services . You call them and they show up on site to fix the vehicle. Just an idea. 

I live close to Burbank. Know that's a couple hundred miles away, but if you got any good referrals I'd be happy to look into them.