Sign in to follow this  
69_mach_1

Headlight wire routing

9 hours ago, 69_mach_1 said:

Thats what everyone i saying, but mine comes right from the firewall and does not have plugs.

Then this is not the correct 69 Mustang headlight harness.  Those end up is a 3 prong bullet plug, and the headlight extension harness plugs into it and then into the two headlights.  Pull the green plug at the firewall and see if the pin layout on the headlight harness and that from the firewall match in layout.  Even if they do, that doesn't necessarily mean your headlight harness is correct.

Ok so full disclosure! I found the real issue. I was using the wrong wire harness!  Back when I started working on the mustang I was in the middle of building a 68 corvette into a road race car. I had stripped the wire harness out of the vette and set it aside but didn't label it. Needless to say that was a bad idea. Long story short, the mustang got taken apart, the wire harnesses got put into the same box, neither labeled. Fast forward some 25 years, after divorce, and moving several times I started working on the Mustang. 

I'm sure most of you reading this are thinking, couldn't you tell the difference between the Vette harness and the Mustang harness, well, you would be surprised how similar they are!
It makes total sense now though the vette had 4 headlights and a very similar setup in terms of connectors, and the color code was exactly the same! 

Lessoned learned. over the weekend my son and I have been able to get everything wired up!  Thanks everyone for the great ideas and tips. Hopefully I wont need your help anymore, but it's great to know there is help out there if needed.

13 hours ago, Midlife said:

Ha!  I knew I was right! 

Corvettes used the same green connector at the firewall?

Yup, you were spot on! It is amazing how similar they are, easy to make that mistake. But I should have marked them, thats the big lesson here....