Sign in to follow this  
69_mach_1

Headlight wire routing

Left fender apron pictured.  From the radiator support it gets a little tough for pictures.  But; thru the lower left radiator support, should be a hole for the harness.  The left headlight/turn signal connections  are below the L headlight and harness rests on the crossmember.  The right side harness travels on the radiator cross member , between radiator and hood latch support, over to the right headlight.  Another set of connections below the battery.  Goes thru the radiator support below the battery tray and then over to the voltage regulator.   Can help with pictures of specific areas?  Others will have better pictures?  Brian

69 Fender Apron L. b.JPG

Thanks for the pic. It's the bucket connections I cant figure out, they don't seem to match up with the bulbs and this is the original harness off the car! So Im wondering if there is a specific way to get the connectors to the back of the buckets?

That does help, my issue is i cant seem to get the plugs to line up, when I plug in the outer light the wire harness is to short to go to the inner light, so I must be doing something wrong, the wire harness is the original harness, so it must go on there some how?

Do you happen to have a shot of the harness going between the two lights? I know thats kinda of a weird angle, but that would help.

Below shows how the wires run from the radiator support to both lights. On one picture the harness connector is marked, other shows the points the harness is clipped on to headlight bucket. Same for both right and left side lights. It is easier to mount the headlights and harness to fender extension first, then install the extension to fender, then hook up the connector on first picture.

InkedIMG_1594_LI.jpg.20dd2429bc7befa1b1be9f0a0b645a9d.jpg

InkedIMG_1593_LI.jpg.5be8b17a90e3cea5dd40b4c007898325.jpg

I tried swapping them around, still to short, I hate to do it, but I did buy extensions for the Bulbs I bought,(Ceramic plugs) That should fix the issue, I'm just pissed I can't figure out why the original harness wont work.

Thanks everyone for the comments appreciate the help.

14 minutes ago, 69_mach_1 said:

I tried swapping them around, still to short, I hate to do it, but I did buy extensions for the Bulbs I bought,(Ceramic plugs) That should fix the issue, I'm just pissed I can't figure out why the original harness wont work.

Thanks everyone for the comments appreciate the help.

Do you see the connector marked on the first picture I posted? I don't see that on your harness. Pictures I posted are from an original 69 harness. You can unplug that connector and remove the fender extension with lights and harness attached to bulbs. May be someone removed the connector and shortened your wires.

I have the other harness your talking about, it hasn't been cut or shortened. The problem is I took it out some 25 years ago, thinking I would get it back together sooner rather than later! But as everyone on here knows, life gets in the way and here we are. So I know it fit at one point, but I just can't get it to work no matter what config I try. For some reason those wires going from one headlight to the other, the pig tail is to short. Im tempted to remove the headlight buckets and see if that works, thats the only thing I didn't put on the car, the paint shop did that.

Do you have a connecter where it is marked on your photo below? That is the  connector that is on my first photo. When you disconnect that connector, the two plugs (together) that go to lights will seperate from main harness.

InkedB4F96A62-2179-4170-BF3A-6AAED65BB8BF.JPG.d74c5f3ba4b015312fdea1dc07c78e6e_LIl.jpg.20fae148f3f0b4f3599a26de369735c1.jpg

Ill look tonight when I get off work, but I don't see how that will make a difference, that wont make the connection between those two plugs any longer. What my picture is showing is how short the distance is between the 2 plugs.

I see that how short the distance between 2 plugs, I also see that your 2 prong plug is longer and goes to outside light; what I am pointing is that your harness does not look like original 1969 harness or it has been modified.

1 hour ago, Brian Conway said:

Looking at the pictures and following along it seems your harness has no plugs provided for the headlight harness ?  Instead the wiring comes directly off the harness ? Are the horn connections present ?  Brian

The harness is just one piece, there were no plugs, Yes there are horn connections, just didnt get them in the shot.

15 minutes ago, RogerC said:

Is the harness coming through this hole in the radiator support? It should be if it ain't. I can't really tell.

B4F96A62-2179-4170-BF3A-6AAED65BB8BF.JPG.d74c5f3ba4b015312fdea1dc07c78e6e.jpg

IMG-2185.jpg

Right now the harness is just lying loose, Im in the process of putting it back in, I just wanted to make sure the headlight plugs would fit, and thats when I found out they were short.

11 minutes ago, det0326 said:

It has been a long time since I did mine but isn't there a pigtail on one of the headlights or maybe both that plugs into the main harness.

Thats what everyone i saying, but mine comes right from the firewall and does not have plugs.

38 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

It may be a silly question but do you have the headlight extension wires for the 69 Mustang headlights like in the attached link?. I think you are missing them.

Mustang Headlight Extension Wire 1969 | CJ Pony Parts

BTW that is a beautiful blue, is that a Ford color?.

I think you may have just solved my problem! Ill have to see if I have those extensions! IT's been so long I may have stuck them in another box. 

Thanks for the compliment on the color, its actually House of Kolor, Smurf Fondue Blue. It has just a little pearl in it so when the sun hits it, it really pops.

Thanks again, for the tip.