Jesse 69 Fastback

Need Opinions: Engine Bay Color

Okay, so I need some advice and opinions on this.  My car will be getting a complete strip down and paint within a few months and I’m looking for options on if is should paint the engine bay the classic black or have it match the exterior color, which will remain red.  

I know this is a bit of a personal preference question, but hoping to get some pros/cons of each option, and some picks of folks that have gone the body color route.

Thanks in advance!

I did mine in a satin black epoxy.  Pro's are that it is easy to match/touch up the inevitable scratches and dings that will happen during installation.   

I think the body color option is pretty cool, but requires more prep time.

So, as you said, personal preference

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

Body color engine compartment in the 60's-70's was mostly a MOPAR thing ... this is part of the reason I could not do it to a '60's-70's Ford as I'm a Ford guy and not a Mopar guy.   I think most 60's & 70's GM cars were black too.  

YES ... modern Mustangs have had body color engine compartments since the FOX body (1979), but I just don't think it looks right on a classic Ford.   I don't know how the Mustang II's were done, as if it even matters.

Heck I had a powder blue '79 Fairmont Futura that I painted the engine compartment BLACK because it looked better than powder blue.

There, you have my opinion !!

Doug

On 11/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, barnett468 said:

whatever you do, i would first fill in all the holes you do not plan to use, and fix any small dents/dings.

Yes,  I remember when you helped me solve my distributor issue a few years back. I hope all is well.