BobW70Mach1

1970 Grande seat frames same as Mach 1?

I am new to the forum.  I apologize if this has been asked before.  I did do a search on 69stang.com and could not find anything.   I just bought a 70 Mach 1 and the driver seat is not original.  I have seen different seats for sale.  Grande/Mach 1 and standard.  Are they all the same seat frame?  I intend to do new foam and seat covers so I don't care about the outside differences.

2 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

Mach’s had high back seats, grandes did not, so frames are different. High back seats use different foam and covers verses grandes/Std 

Casey, as far as I know, on 1969 standard and Grande seat was low back (with separate head rest) and Mach had high back (no seperate head rest). On 1970 all models had seats with high back (no separate head rest).

Yes I was wrong if it was about the '69s, so Casey was right.

I was in 1970 mode and I have seen those "houdstooth" high back buckets before, that what was in my (old) memory banks.

The Cougar seat frames should also be pretty much the same.

See attached about what I was thinking.

70 Grande.pdf.pdf

Thanks for the advice guys.  I searched eBay, craigslist and facebook across the country and finally found a Mach 1 set for sale 2000 miles away.  Was about to pull the trigger and deal with the inconvenience and pay the shipping when I decided to do a WTB locally.  I found these Grande seats just a few miles away.  It is the first dollar I have spend on parts for the car.  I expect to spend many more dollars in the future (sigh).

B8E3B681-E837-4C84-9399-32EC07D31B19.jpeg

You are going to recover them as Mach1 right, all you need is the cover if the foam on them are in good shape. And looks like the seat release is at the bottom of the back, I believe that is how it should be for 1970.

But those don't look like Grande seats/covers to me though. 1970 Grande should have hounds tooth cloth in the middle of bottom and back, but top half of your back is vinyl, not cloth.

What are you going to do with the old covers? If you do not need them, I can use them to make patterns for new seat covers/upholstery.

I live in Ridgefield WA.  Just north of Portland OR.  I bought the car as a "drove when parked" situation near San Francisco.  Had no idea if I could get it running.  351 cleveland 2V.  not original engine.  After entirely new fuel system from gas tank to carburetor, and a fixing a massive leak at the shifter on the FMX, I have it running and driving.  I've spent about $8,000 at CJ Pony parts already just on the interior parts (interior was completely trashed.)  Still thinking about how I want to attack the restoration.

20211123_135320.jpg