Vicfreg

Convertible Cylinder Stop Bracket

I noted this bracket in several books/documents/drawings that I have.  My '70 doesn't appear to have a spot for this bracket, nor was there one installed when I got my car.  Any ideas?

convertible cylinder stop....jpg

It mounts using these two holes. I can take a better picture of mine tomorrow with it installed. This is the only picture I could find that I have that shows the mounting holes. I don’t believe they are reproduced.. 

image.jpeg

Hi Kris.  Thanks for the pic!

it’s very interesting that the 1970 convertibles don’t seem to have this piece. If you get a chance to take pictures of a different angle I’d appreciate it, I think I actually might have one of those brackets in my junk parts bin…..

On 10/12/2021 at 9:19 PM, Vicfreg said:

Hi Kris.  Thanks for the pic!

it’s very interesting that the 1970 convertibles don’t seem to have this piece. If you get a chance to take pictures of a different angle I’d appreciate it, I think I actually might have one of those brackets in my junk parts bin…..

Vic, my 70 vert is power top so I do not see a reason why you would need a latch to keep the top down as the hydraulic cylinders keep it pulled down anyway. My guess is that the latch must be used on manual top cars only. Is your top power or manual?

On 10/12/2021 at 9:02 PM, Kris said:

This is the part that attaches to those holes. It’s a latch mechanism that keeps the top down. 

How about you Kris, do you have power or manual top?

Mine is power, and has no holes.  I also checked with a friend who has 3 1969 Cougar Convertibles with power tops, and no holes or brackets there either.   

Kris, I would say that you have a pretty rare part there.

I’m guessing it’s a manual top only part then. It’s funny that’s it’s in the drawing along with the power cylinders. Not sure if your convertible had them but my car also had 1” bell shaped seat risers in it under the seat tracks. They are factory but we’re completely unnecessary. I took them out so my seat would sit lower and I wouldn’t hit my head on the top frame.  

Old thread but for the record my 69 (manual top) has those latches.

I agree the latches are for manual tops only as they are not only unnecessary on a power top but trying to raise a power top with a mechanical latch in place would be, um, problematic.  I can see a lot of unhappy customers returning to their Ford dealership for repairs back in the day.

Curious why they were deleted in 1970, unless they just figured it wasn't necessary to secure the top in the down position.